NEW BEGINNINGS-oh

MAX POV

MAX POV

I was seated on my couch, feeling a bit exhausted after a therapy session, while talking to my mother on the phone. It had been a year since I officially adopted both Pani and Jade, so now I had two daughters at the age of 20. Jade had been staying with Duke and my mom back in California while I pursued my college education in New York.

The decision to adopt Pani came about when I realized that her mother was unreliable, which explained why she was always at my house. Pani expressed her desire to accompany me to New York, so I agreed to let her come along with the others. Whenever I was away, Pani stayed with Tara's sister, Sam, ensuring that she was well taken care of.

In New York, I shared an apartment with Quinn, a friend we had made during our time there. Ever since the tragic event that occurred last year, known as the massacre, my ex-girlfriend Paisley ended our relationship and moved to Chicago. However, I found myself developing feelings for Quinn.

Sadie, Maddie, and another new friend named Anika Kayoko shared a dorm together. Stalana, Dylan, Ethan Landry, and I knew each other from our classes, and Stalana and I worked together at a job that didn't pay particularly well. As a result, she became part of our friend group.

Tara's friend Mindy also joined us, as she was dating Anika. Tara and Mindy shared a room together. And that's where we find ourselves now.

Seeking peace, I brought my friends along, leaving behind my old life. I wanted to bring my other daughter with us, but my mom insisted that she stay in California, so I respected her wishes. Unfortunately, therapy hasn't been helpful for me. I find my therapist to be quite ineffective, no offense intended.

"Is Jade okay? Is she eating properly? Does she have nightmares? You know she has really bad ones and she needs to be comforted to fall back asleep. Have you been comforting her?" I bombarded my mother with these questions, my protective instincts kicking into overdrive. Ever since Jade witnessed her own mother turning into a monster, she's been going through a really tough time. So, I'm extremely vigilant about her well-being now.

I'm sure my mother is getting tired of my motherly ways by now.

"Honey, baby... I've got it. I've raised three of you, so I think I can handle a fourth one for a few months, max. Just calm down. Jade will be fine. She's been doing better lately. The trauma might be slowly healing," my mother, Sam, insisted. It's funny how my mom's name is Sam and Tara's sister is also named Sam, but that's beside the point. I let out a groan, feeling that first-time mother in me emerging more and more each day, especially when it's about taking care of two kids at the same time.