HE'S BACK- how?!

MADDIE POV

MADDIE POV

I sat in my room, feeling a mix of frustration and exhaustion. The events of the evening had left me feeling awkward and out of place. I longed for things to go back to the way they were, for life to regain its normalcy.

As I removed my earrings and let my hair down from its bun, I tried to wipe off the lingering traces of glitter from my face. Changing into a comfortable shirt and a black over-dress with flower patterns, I collapsed face-first onto my bed, releasing my frustration in a scream.

Just as I was lost in my thoughts, my bedroom door creaked open, and I looked up to see Stalana standing there. Stalana had become one of my closest friends in New York, along with Sadie. Although there was a playful flirtation between us, she knew about my crush on Dylan. I cared too much about our friendship to risk making things awkward, so I kept my feelings to myself.

"Hey, Mads," Stalana greeted me, leaning against the doorframe.

"Hey," I replied awkwardly, sitting up and turning to face her.

"I know you've been going through a tough time lately, but you have to see it from Maxine's point of view," Stalana began, her voice carrying a sense of understanding. "You're probably, aside from Sadie and Pani, the most important person here in the apartment to her right now. She cares about you."

"Oh, please. She barely knows me. She's only my 'friend' because of last year. She didn't even acknowledge me before," I rolled my eyes, a hint of bitterness creeping into my words.

"Maybe she just needs a friend," Stalana shrugged, moving toward my desk and taking a seat on the chair. "I mean, all of her friends died last year. You and Sadie are the closest things to friends she has right now."

I sighed, feeling a sense of defeat in Stalana's words. "She has you guys," I replied, my voice tinged with resignation, as I looked down at my lap.

Stalana chuckled, but her tone carried a hint of reproach. "Why are you being a total bitch about this?" she asked bluntly.

As I spoke to Stalana, my voice carried a mix of vulnerability and honesty. "I'm not being a bitch, Stalana. I'm just being honest. Right now, you and Dylan are probably my only true friends, and I'm grateful for that. But I don't know how to let Max in, Stala. It's hard for me. I understand that she wants to protect me, but I don't want her protecting me," I explained, my voice tinged with a hint of frustration.