What If.....?

I shouldn't have run on ahead, who knows what else is lurking down here. Yet something inside me, stronger than instincts sent me racing ahead of my friends, their frantic calls lost in the wind behind my sprinting feet.

I stopped, shuffling my feet when I found myself in an enormous vault with a metal coffin on top of an altar. I nearly dropped my staff, gasping as the lantern light flickered in my shaking hand. This was the place in my dream! The tomb with the single coffin! This is why my instincts pushed me to come to Gresit.

I set the lantern down, steadily walking down the aisle clenching my staff with my other hand gripping the hilt of the silver sword Mary gave me. Electric lanterns lit up on the walls when I passed, and I halted when I approached the coffin. "This is it." This is where I'm supposed to be, but now what should I do?

I startled backward at a rush of air. The mechanisms clinked on the wall like giant clogs in a clocktower, and the coffin rose, opening to me.

A vampiric figure levitated out from the coffin, floating before me like an apparition . I was stricken by how beautiful he was. "Why are you here?" The figure questioned in a low growling voice.

"Because I'm supposed to be here." I answered, quivering. "Though...I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do now. Maybe I'm meant to find you."

The soldier raised his head, staring at me with golden eyes. "Who are you?

"I wish I knew." I admitted bashfully. " I don't remember who I am or what my name even was. I woke up in a burning field, with the only memory being this place." I gestured the tomb. " A voice told me in my dreams I was supposed to come here. For what reason, I don't know....but this feels right."

I couldn't take my eyes off him. "So the legend is real. The Sleeping Soldier lies beneath Gresit waiting for the Messenger. The One who will save us from Dracula." I clutched my mouth. "The Messenger... Maybe that's me!! And I was supposed to find you because I'm part of the legend!"

The soldier chuckled amused. "And what message do you bring, Little One?"

"We need your help." I answered confidently. "Gresit is under attack and Dracula's hell bent on destroying all humanity. The Legend says that a Messiah will awaken to defeat Dracula, and that he will be aided by a Hunter, a Scholar, and a......" My eyes widened. "And a Guardian..I'm the Guardian. I'm meant to help you on this quest. That explains the dream, and why this all feels right."

The Sleeping Soldier only gazed in intrigue. I bent on my knee holding my staff in both arms.  "Will you help us?"

"I will." He answered gravely. "Though it grieves me to do so."

I've never seen eyes so beautiful, and I couldn't move when they cast onto me. "I must wonder, you say 'we'. Yet only you stand before me. Where is your Hunter and Scholar, fearless Guardian? Surely you did not travel here alone."

A  furious scuffling sounded off and my companions came rushing in, halting in their tracks seeing me standing next to the floating Messiah. "That fucking bitch I'm gonna kill her." Trevor growled. "Get away from him. Right now." His hands tightened around his whip.

"Guys it's all right! I found him!" I couldn't contain my excitement. "The Sleeping Soldier! It's all true, and he said he will help us!" Sypha believed me, I saw the amazement in her eyes. Trevor on the other hand...

" That's what he told you?" He scoffed. "How nice. "

The Sleeping Soldier glared at him suspiciously.

"You don't believe me?" I asked.

"Oh I believe you think he's some sleeping messiah." Trevor glared at the soldier with equal heat. "I don't."