Angel Wings

Mira died today.

She lived a long life and was ready for the next part of her journey.I was there in her last moments, sitting at her bedside and comforting her when my glyphs started to prickle and a shadowed, beautiful figure entered the room. "It's time to go home Mira, my dear."

She couldn't see Azrael yet, you can't see her until you've already passed, but those close to their time can hear her, and feel her presence. I told her about the Angel of Death,  how kind and warm she really was. She wasn't afraid.

"May I say goodbye to my friend?" The elderly woman asked in a thin whisper.

"Of course." Azrael responded in a sweet motherly voice.

We said goodbye to each other and I told her not to be afraid, the Celestial Realms were beautiful and everyone she loved would be waiting there. I kissed her forehead and stood away, closing my eyes and looking away when Azrael did her job.

"I see you've been busy." I noticed another orb floating around her scythe, bumping against the new one.

"I'm always busy." Azrael remarked plainly. "This." She tipped her scythe to the older orb. "This is the soul of her mother, she volunteered. It makes the transition easier when they're accompanied  by someone they love."

"If people knew what you were really like, they wouldn't fear death as much."

"They would still fear death because they don't know what comes after. Not like we angels do." Azrael changed the subject. "I see you're doing well. How's your family and village?"

"Great." I smiled. "Alucard and I are married now, and we adopted one of the orphans."

"Aiden is it?" 

"Yes!" I said surprised. "How did you know!?"

"His parents told me about you. They watch over him, and they are forever thankful to you and Alucard for giving him a good life." Azrael smiled. "Having an angel for a mother...he couldn't have been luckier after such a tragic start." The air stirred from her wings. "You seem to have taken to your human form quite nicely. I knew you would, just make sure to stretch your wings every so often, they get stiff if you don't."

"My wings!?" I exclaimed.  " What are you talking about I don't have wings anymore!"

"Yes you do." Azrael chuckled.

"You told me when I chose to remain human that I couldn't fly!" I stammered. 

"I never said that." Azrael cocked her brow amused. "I said you couldn't take your true form again and fly through the heavens with your brethren. I never said you couldn't fly period. You retain your wings as an earthly angel, and you can still fly."

"Now you tell me!?" I gaped. "I wish I fricken knew that! Do you know how big this castle is and how long it takes to walk from my room to the front gate? Enough where I'm exhausted by the time I reach the door. That's never happened to me, apparently it's because I'm lugging around extra weight."

Azrael's laugh caught me off guard. The kind of laugh that told me she knew something else that I should have known.  "You are." Azrael responded lighthearted. "Best to stretch them out, give them a good test run when you have the chance."

"Believe me I will." I huffed humorously. "I'll figure a time to flex them out. Probably when there aren't many people out to see me flail like a fledgling."

"You should do it soon." Azrael advised. "Before the baby grows bigger and you're truly locked in human form for a while."

My staff clattered to the floor. " WHAT??!!"

"You haven't realized it yet, Zaharial?" Azrael shook her head. "You've been sick  and constantly lethargic. I thought you'd remember what it felt like, you're the only angel with that experience."

"Well apparently I fucking didn't." I covered my mouth crying. "Boss above."

Azrael rubbed my shoulder. "You'll do just fine. You have a village for this child now."

" I do........" I murmured stunned. "Thank you for telling me about my wings and about...." I placed a hand on my womb. "About this."

"You're welcome." Azrael brushed her black wings over me in affection. "You have my condolences, and.....congratulations."

When Greta and Laura came in hearing my cries, they believed I was stricken by grief.

We had a funeral for Mira and buried her next to Marius, her friend who watched over her and the one who truly brought this village together. Everyone said their prayers and goodbyes, including me, and when everyone was in the mead hall celebrating her life, I drew Alucard away.

We walked together on the castle ramparts, holding hands with a heavy furred cloak Alucard dumped over my shoulders to keep me warm, I'd been sick in my stomach for the past few weeks and he feared I'd get sicker in the cold.

I told Alucard about my encounter with the true Death and her revelations about my wings, which I swore I could now feel pinioned against my back. "That's wonderful." Alucard's breath fogged the air. "Once you are well we will fly together."

"I was never sick." I admitted. "Adrian." I took both his hands. "There's something else I need to tell you."

I've never seen him cry like this before. He held me close, and we embraced each other with joyful tears in our eyes. Alucard kissed me several times, unable to contain himself. "My love.My angel." His lips caught mine and I melted. When we parted we touched forehead, hands intertwined.

"Let them mourn and celebrate Mira first. Tonight's about her." I whispered. "Then we can tell them, after we let Aiden know. The village women already suspect it, but I want to confirm it for myself with the tests in the hospital."

"You doubt the words of an angel?" Alucard questioned intrigued.

"Nah. I just like to know things a hundred percent." I winked.

"Of course." Alucard kissed me again and held my hand. His other hand gently on my belly.

I summoned my great white wings, longer than my body and  marked with red, and shielded us from the windy night.