જ⁀➴𝐑𝐄𝐘𝐀

"This is the way I am, and I like it."

"And goodnight Poppy!" Mireya jumped at the shout. "Sorry." Branch quietly acknowledged her reaction.

The girls' hug time bracelets chimed and while Mireya closed hers, Poppy sat up and turned to her and Branch. Mireya shook her head no and Branch, not very politely declined.

POPPY

Stars shining bright above you

Branch grunted and turned over to face Poppy, "Really? Seriously? More singing?"

"Yes, seriously! Singing helps me relax. Maybe you oughta try it sometime."

"Poppy, it is a little late for that." Mireya mumbled, almost afraid to start a conflict.

Branch, with no ill intentions, interrupted her, "I don't sing, and I don't relax. This is the way I am, and I like it. I also like a little silence." He laid down, his back facing Poppy. Mireya didn't even have to look at him to know he was pissed.

She was just about to lay back down before a ukulele started playing. It was Poppy. Branch, once again, turned to face her as she smirked and sang.

POPPY

Hello Darkness,
My old friend
I've come to talk with you again

Two large pink flowers joined her and a spider lowered itself next to Branch to greet him.

Because a vision softly creeping
Left it's seeds while I was sleeping
And the vision that was planted in my brain

And now many other animals and plants joined her.

It was pretty dramatic if you ask me.

Still remains
Within the sound
Of silence

Once she finished the song, she made her back towards the siblings and everyone else faded into the darkness of the forest. She plucked the last chords of the song, thinking she somehow changed Branch's brain wiring.

He stood. "May I?"

Poppy smiled and handed him the instrument.

Which is pretty dumb. Kids, don't trust anyone with your instruments.

"Um, Branch, maybe..." Mireya quietly warned him, failing to stop him from throwing the ukulele into the fire, and laying back down. "Sorry, Poppy.."

✮ ⋆ ˚。𖦹 ⋆。°✩

After (what felt like)days of traveling, they reached the old escape tunnels. By this time, Mireya had eaten 80% of their snacks, and scrapbooked 5 different scenarios in which they save their friends and celebrate with Poppy.

"So one of these tunnels leads to the Troll Tree?" Poppy inquired.

"That's right." Branch answered calmly.

"There's so many of them."

"I wonder which one is correct." Mireya added.