Chapter 20

FREEN'S POV.

I can't believe Heng is back. I haven't been able to see him in almost a year. Heng is my twin brother but I'm older than him by three minutes. He joined the military when we were 23, he's kind of always been a free spirit so we were all surprised when he came and told us that, that's what he was doing. Heng has always been a little lost when it came to what he wanted to do with his life but he's been in the military for the last five years so I'm guessing he found his calling. We email as often as we can and Facetime occasionally so he can see Sam. I've really missed him, though I would never tell him. He and I are almost like day and night. He's happy, super friendly, optimistic and a really big dreamer and I'm pretty much the opposite of that but we balance each other out. We fought a lot when we were younger but once we were in our teens, every thing changed and he became my best friend.

I really want Becky to meet my family even though I'll have to introduce her as a friend. It doesn't matter to me because I'll eventually tell them the truth. I hope they like her though I don't see why they wouldn't. They'll always be friendly even if my grandmother doesn't like her, Becky will know. My grandmother isn't one to hold her tongue and if she doesn't like you, she'll say it, to your face. That reminds me of the thanksgiving, Heng brough home this girl, I can't remember her name but she was a brunette. She tried so hard to be kind and nice but my grandma broke her down at every chance she got. Implying she was fat, which she wasn't, or that she can't cook, she wasn't good enough for Heng and worse. She can be nice and nasty all at the same time. Heidi didn't have that problem with grandma. They actually got along but in these last few years they haven't talked very much, though I think Grandma may still like her. I don't know for sure because we don't talk about Heidi.

I finally get to my house and Sam, Becky and I walk through the front door. I was afraid Becky would be nervous but she looks calm as ever. She said she was a little nervous but not very, which is good. Introducing her as a friend takes off a lot of the pressure so I just want her to be comfortable so she can enjoy my family and get to know them. The second I open the door I'm hit with the sweet smell of my mom's chicken enchiladas. Oh that smells so good. I also hear music playing so I know everyone has to be in the kitchen. I urge Becky forward and we walk towards the kitchen. I see my Grandmother and Heng dancing around my breakfast bar and my mother is dancing with her back turned to me, over the stove.

"Is there a party going on in my house and I wasn't invited?" I say and they all turn towards me. They all start speaking at once so I have no idea what was being said but my mother was the first to pull me into a hug.

"Hi mom," I say against her shoulder. She pulls back and kisses both of my cheeks then looks at me.

"I thought you had disappeared along with your brother. You don't call to check up on me and dad," She then pulls me into another hug but this one is much tighter.

"I know, I'm sorry I've just been really busy," I say as we break apart.

"I guess being a big musician will do that," She pinches my cheek with a big smile and I roll my eyes as she moves away.

"And look at my handsome boy! He's so grown up," She says as she makes her way to Sam. I walk past her and hug my grandmother.

"Hi grandma," I say.

"Hello Freen," She says with a slight chuckle as she rocks us back and forth.

"How have you been?" I ask as I move back.

"Good, you would know that if you picked up the phone every now and then."

"I know, I'm sorry grandma," She cups my face and smiles at me.