04|| LET ME HURT.

CHAPTER FOUR|| LET ME HURT

"Family is not about blood, it's about who's willing to hold your hand, when you need it the most.

FAMILY IS NOT defined by blood or last names, it's about who's willing to stand with you when the entire world feels like its falling apart

Ataraxia learned that from none other than Haymitch Abernathy.

*Flashback*

The night before the sixty eighth Hunger Games, everyone was gathered backstage, waiting for the time they were to be called up to speak with Ceasar Flickerman.

Ataraxia was freaking out. What will I say? what will I do? What if I fuck this up? Before she knew it, she was hyperventilating. She felt as if she couldn't breathe, her airways were closing up. Instantaneously, an arm took a hold on her and pulled her into a separate room. Tears burned in the back of her eyes. "Hey it's okay. It's okay" the voice of a man said, he was trying to sooth her.

Ataraxia looked up at him, struggling to breath, it was Haymitch. District twelves mentor. Why was he helping her? They had only ever had one interaction, right after she had pushed Callahan off of the chariots.

"Relax. You're going to do fine." Haymitch spoke. He looked around, thinking for a moment. "Uh- do you remember that time when you punched that kid off the cylinder?" He asked. "That was hilarious. By far my favorite tribute parade ever." Ataraxia calmed down slightly and laughed a little bit. He was helping, but she still couldn't breathe.

Haymitch looked lost for a moment, another way to stop a panic attack was to remind them of something they deem safe. The thing was, her entire family was dead, the only things she actually seems to care a little bit about was Finnick, and water. "Ataraxia. don't think about it. think about the ocean. The cold water rushing your toes, the wind whisking through your hair, and you sit on the beach. The smell of salt, blue, Finnick."

As Haymitch continued to describe the waves and the water to Ataraxia, she focused on one thing he had said: Finnick. She thought about all of times she and Finnick had bickered over childish things, the night she had cried in his arms, and suddenly, she could breathe again. Ataraxia took slow and deep breathes as Haymitch laid a hand on her back and rubbed slow circles. "You're okay."

*End Flashback*

Ever since that night Haymitch had become like a father figure in her life. The only person she would ever let her guard down for. Thats why she was going to see him now. Ataraxia knew that she could trust him.

Ataraxia stepped in the door to his apartment, as always, it was open, "Haymitch!" She called as she walked to where he was seated with alcohol in his hand. Great. He's drunk. she thought. When is he not though? she thought back to herself. good point.