chapter 1: Apricot

┊ ⋆ ┊

┊ ⋆ ┊ . ┊ ┊

┊ ┊⋆ ┊ .

┊ ┊ ⋆˚         

✧. ┊         

⋆ ★

__________________ ׂׂૢ་༘࿐
1ST YEAR
OCTOBER, 1886

No one was holding Letty back—no one would particularly care if she hit him, for Sebastian Sallow had done it again and spoiled her ten inches of parchment on the benefits of horklump juice in medicine.

Sebastian found her eating apples and working on it at a table in the Great Hall. This was at breakfast one October day. As he appeared with Ominis, Letty knew they were bound for trouble. And even more still when Sebastian launched an apricot up like a ball—trusting Ominis would turn it into a paper bird on time—and knocking over a goblet of juice at her table. Letty wiped whatever mess was on her cheeks and waited for Sebastian's usual aftershock.

When he ran over to the sea of Ravenclaws, he saw the dampened parchment and said, "Is that due today?" with more regret in his voice for not having started the assignment.

"Yes, and if only you hadn't ruined mine!" she cried.

"I haven't done mine either," he said, and she sighed; like that was supposed to make things any better.

"How do you think I spend my free time—sneaking about and getting detention?" she said, and Sebastian frowned. "Serves me right for not having started this earlier. I wish you'd leave me alone, Sebastian."

After various lesser mishaps at the table (for Sebastian had gone away to sit with Ominis), Letty was finished another ten inches, and by the look on her friend Amit's face he was also done and ready to leave.