chapter 7: Garreth Weasley (before The Crime)

┊ ⋆ ┊

┊ ⋆ ┊ . ┊ ┊

┊ ┊⋆ ┊ .

┊ ┊ ⋆˚         

✧. ┊         

⋆ ★

__________________ ׂׂૢ་༘࿐
7TH YEAR (Before The Crime)
SEPTEMBER, 1892

Sleep felt impossible that night. Letty kept seeing the Dark artefact that was the relic take its form each time she closed her eyes. The corrupted shape of it was etched into her memory and Sebastian's features—his fear, his panic—were there, too. She was only beginning to grapple the weight of their escape, barely surviving the catacomb of Inferi two years ago.

At last she fell asleep from exhaustion. She woke again to a persistent knocking at her door.

"What are you doing?" said Samantha Dale. "You haven't even washed?"

Letty blinked at her cousin. "What's going on?"

"It's Monday morning, you idiot." Samantha was already dressed in her black robes with the accompanying blue and bronze Ravenclaw uniform. "We've got the start of term at eight. It's nearly an hour broom ride. I shouldn't have to remind you every year."

The cousins made it in time, but barely. They were half running down the courtyard and into the main entrance, robes flapping in the wind, when the bells rang for eight. Upon dropping their bags and leaving their brooms out in the corridor, which were bewitched to find the rest of its kind in a cupboard, they walked into the Great Hall for the feast.

Shortly after announcements Letty hurried away in a flutter to see Sebastian and Ominis at their table. They seized her and she was met with a darkness and the scent of cologne. Looking up she saw Sebastian's brown hair with its sandy undertones, who looked quite taken aback, for he'd come to a realization that Letty, who he called his friend, was starting to feel more than a mere trifle these days.

Beside him was Ominis Gaunt, a stark contrast to Sebastian whose hair was like a cloud of white on his head, and had a miniature pair of blue-gray eyes. Poor thing could not see and the question was if he'll ever figure out that Letty had grown her hair.

"You all act as if you don't live a hamlet away," said Imelda Reyes, who always took a stab at the friendship's joys and sorrows.

"How's Anne doing?" Letty asked Sebastian.

"Nothing new. But I've got news about the relic since our latest discovery and I can confirm that it does require goblin-silver," he whispered, cautious of prying ears. "I'll explain after breakfast."

Letty turned to Ominis and said, "I can't help but think you had something to do with it this time."

"No, I've told him countless times to leave it alone. Everyone's against it—even his uncle and Anne herself."