chapter 2: Letty's Field Guide

┊ ⋆ ┊  

┊ ⋆ ┊   .   ┊   ┊

┊    ┊⋆     ┊ .

┊    ┊ ⋆˚              

✧. ┊         

⋆ ★

__________________ ׂׂૢ་༘࿐
2ND YEAR
JANUARY, 1887

When Sebastian entered the Great Hall one January afternoon he found Ominis and Letty getting ready to go out with an air of secrecy that made him curious.

"Where are you going?" he asked.

"Never mind. Ominis tells me you've got Transfiguration homework to be done, so you're not invited," said Letty.

Turning to Ominis, who never refused him anything very long, he said, "You're taking her out to the lake aren't you? I should think you'd let me go, Ominis. I'll have the homework done by tonight."

"I can't, Sebastian," his friend began.

"Well, that's cool—to go ice skating without me! It was mean not to tell me in time; I'd have finished it if I only knew."

"No you wouldn't have," said Letty.

He smiled in self-satisfaction. "No I wouldn't."

"Now stop bothering us."

"Suppose we take him," said Ominis.

"If he goes, I won't. And I should think he were decent enough not to poke himself where he isn't wanted," she finalized.

Letty's tone and manner angered Sebastian, who feigned a calm demeanour which was not to be mistaken for assent.

"You're not still mad about the time I hit you with an apricot," he said.

"Of course not. I've forgiven you, haven't I? And for breaking my telescope and setting my best robes on fire and letting my puffskein loose who you still haven't found. Not to mention yesterday's trouble in potions."

"You're so hateful. I'll ask Poppy to go skating with me then. She's always kind and won't care whether or not I have unfinished assignments." And off he went to the other table.

While Poppy agreed to go, Sebastian heard the clash of skates and turned around to see them taking off and, with an impatient exclamation, said,

"You double-crossing sods! At least I won't be going out with two crosspatches!"

"Don't say that, Sebastian. They're only looking out for you," said Poppy. "And as your friend, I'll help you with Transfiguration if that's what you're so worried about. That way you'll have the weekend for fun. How about it then?"

Sebastian had no self-control and had hard times trying to ease the raging spirit which was continually getting him into trouble. He tried to behave, but found it difficult when his only friend was running off with Letty; Letty, who he was on bad terms with and was ready to pounce and defeat him whenever she had the chance.

When they got back, they found Sebastian reading next to Poppy in the Great Hall. He assumed an ordinary air as they came in, never lifting his eyes from his book as Letty gathered her things from the table in fear that his silence might have a destructive intent.

On going up to put away her skates, Letty's first look was toward her bookshelf, for in their last quarrel Sebastian had paid Sophronia Franklin to dispatch her telescope which was later found impractical down the girls' toilets. Everything was in its place, however, and after a hasty glance into her closet, Letty decided that Sebastian had gotten over their wrongs.

There she was mistaken, for next day Letty made a discovery late in the afternoon. Sebastian and Ominis were sitting together when Letty burst into the Great Hall, looking about to curse someone and said,
"Which one of you has taken my field guide?"

Ominis looked surprised. Sebastian drank from his goblet and said nothing. Letty saw his colour rise and was down upon him in a minute.

"Sebastian, I know you've got it. You know something about it, and you'd better tell at once."

"Well, you'll never see it again," he said, getting excited in his turn.

Letty and Ominis both said, "Why not?" at once, and became anxious.

"I've sent it away and not even I know where."

"You've lost it! I had worked so hard on that book and meant to hand it in to Professor Weasley by spring. If you only knew how much I want to hit you."

"Have you really got rid of it?" said Ominis.

"Yes I did! That'll teach her not to be so hateful, and to leave—"

Sebastian got no further, for Letty's temper mastered him and she hit him till his arm bruised, crying, in a passion of grief and anger.

"You wicked boy! I never shall forgive you!"

Ominis demanded they stop behaving so childishly, but Letty was quite beside herself; and, with her tongue out at Sebastian, she rushed out of the Hall and up to the Ravenclaw tower to finish her fight alone.