chapter 18: What Ominis Saw

┊ ⋆ ┊  

┊ ⋆ ┊   .   ┊   ┊

┊    ┊⋆     ┊ .

┊    ┊ ⋆˚              

✧. ┊         

⋆ ★

__________________ ׂׂૢ་༘࿐
5 Years Later...
JANUARY, 1897

That day he walked slowly, out of habit, out of fear, but also, now, out of Azkaban. He had been shut tight while the world went on, and here he was now opening a basket of shrivelfig at the kitchen table, all the promises of a tomorrow for himself and his sister after five years, skittering to their feet like devil's snare.

"How did you get these? I should think they weren't in season." Anne, now twenty-two, was still curious and not shy with her questions, just as she had been at fifteen.

"It can do more than heal a person, you know," said Letty, meaning the silver.

It was cold now, and any time they went outside the wind nipped at their skin and numbed their noses red. Inside the manor, however, was the warmest it had ever been with four homebodies and a hardworking house-elf in it.

That morning Sebastian wore his white and blue pyjama set with a sleepy smile on his face as Letty straightened his collar at the breakfast table. She saw scars below his collarbone, no doubt from his sentence, and caught traces of fresh bergamot and citrus. His hair was longer than before, and the sides had grown out so that he seemed younger and more mischievous.

"Funny," said Anne, her face colouring like the shrivelfig she was cutting up, "because I wouldn't have called it."

"Nor I," said Ominis, who had quietly gone over to prod at the fireplace. "But we should be glad of it because if it weren't for these two—well, Merlin only knows where you'd be."

The girl grinned and started to think. "Are you staying here with us, Letty?"

"Of course," she said, and remembered Ominis. "Well, only if I'm allowed."

"Of course," he said without hesitation.

"But your real family, what will become of them?" said Anne.

"Are you trying to say you're not real?" And she picked up an apricot from the fruit bowl and flung it at Anne across the table. "So that didn't hurt, then?"

"Alright," said Anne, who, rubbing her chin where it hit her, could not get over Letty's playful nature as they laughed it off over scrambled eggs and kippers.

Very quickly the work of Sunday took over, and they spent the morning in assigned chores, despite Moloch's discontent. All around, it was easy labour for them and didn't take more than 3 hours of their day, which Moloch gave an earful about because he was having "too much help and free time."