chapter 9: Club of Thieves

In the present moment there was no escape, for the next day classes would begin and another school year in action. Letty had all electives on Tuesdays and Thursdays while Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays consisted of core classes, including DADA in which every student had to take, regardless of their career path and specialty.

Alchemy was taught by a man named Professor Vittorio, who could not have been more different from Letty's other professors. He rarely smiled, and delivered his lectures with a rotting air, never glancing once at his notes. He did not ask their names and only ever referred to them with a pointed finger and a cold, abrupt 'You.'

When Sebastian read aloud from Nicolas Flamel's The philosophical summary, Vittorio asked the boy to slow down and "read it with feeling," as if it were a play.

Letty did not particularly like him, but was nevertheless curious on the subject of alchemy that when they filed out at the end of class she went up to his desk and said,

"Professor, what do you know of the Philosopher's Stone?"

"Class is over, Miss Igribach," and he rose.

"I wanted to ask you for a moment—if you have the time—if the stone wielded the same properties as the Resurrection Stone."

"That's hardly a question if you'd done the readings," he said.

"That's precisely why I'm asking, Professor. The chapter doesn't mention anything, and I've heard that it can do as much as healing—"

"Then it isn't of interest and might not be for a while. When I have relevant topics for discussion I shall bring them up in class, Miss Igribach. But class is over and you're now infringing on my time."

Sebastian hung by the door, waiting, and as she marched out with her things, said, "An awful little puss, that one."

Letty shot him a firm look. "I thought to ask because I felt we could use the Stone in some way."

"Vittorio is not the person to ask. Let's go."

While they went up the stairs Garreth came jogging towards them from, they could only assume, Herbology class, for he wore an apron dotted with all sorts of soil and grass stains.

"Letty, a word, if you will," he said hurriedly, but Sebastian, who was very protective, had already said, "What for?"

"Nice to see you, too, Sallow. How's Anne?"

"Alright."

"Shame she isn't any better."

"We're working on it, Weasley, don't you worry."

There was no doubt Letty felt anxious about Sebastian's attempt in putting him right. On her part, she promised Garreth to have made a decision by the end of the day, however, it had been a request forgotten.

"Ah." Garreth looked over at Letty and she seemed to be avoiding his eye for that reason. "Well, I hope you don't mind, Sebastian," and they went aside at once.

It was a mistake not to tell Sebastian. She figured he would have to guess the context and became discomfited imagining what it would be like when she got back to him, for he might as well have produced a tempest then.

"I've no idea yet Garreth, if that's why you've pulled me aside," she began.

"What if I said you'll have someone to go with," he whispered. "Lucan Brattleby."

"Why, he's only a kid—"

"—who has a way with duels!"

"Garreth."