chapter 6: Gaunt Manor

┊ ⋆ ┊

┊ ⋆ ┊ . ┊ ┊

┊ ┊⋆ ┊ .

┊ ┊ ⋆˚         

✧. ┊         

⋆ ★

__________________ ׂׂૢ་༘࿐
6TH YEAR
AUGUST, 1891

The house did prove to be a beautiful palace, though it took some time for all to get in, and Letty found it hard to get past the grandeur. The fact that she was poor and Ominis rich made her shy of accepting favours which she could not return. But after a while she found that he considered them a part of Gaunt Manor. So much so that the three spent their first day of summer holidays scrubbing mold off the walls and dusting every single surface and getting rid of cobwebs that were left since Ominis's parents died as if it were their own house.

The Gaunt Manor house-elf, however, did not take much to Letty's arrival, for he was found muttering, "Filthy muggle-born, besmirching the House of Gaunt—" whenever she was nearby. Ominis and Sebastian would tell the house-elf named Moloch off to which he left obligingly.

Despite Moloch's rage, all sorts of pleasant things happened about that time, for the new friendship blossomed, much like the growth of lacewing flies.

"Master Gaunt," came the house-elf at dinner time, poking his head into the kitchen.

"What is it, Moloch," said Ominis.

"Moloch's just finished with the study. It is exceedingly fit for the muggle-born Master Gaunt asked Moloch to clean it up for. Would Master Gaunt like to see?"

He took them to a large, dim room, with telescopes staring out from the tall windows, and cozy chairs and globes, and, best of all, a wilderness of books in which Letty began to wander into.

Coming up behind her Ominis said, "I thought you might like it."

"You must be the luckiest boy," she said blindly.

This did not suit Letty at all, but she accepted the place and was glad of her friend's kindness. Moloch wouldn't speak to Letty for a time, but upon seeing the gratitude she fed to his master something struck the house-elf's blunt manners and his nasty comments seemed to ceasefire.

"I'd recommend some to read, but seeing as you fancy Ivanhoe so much..."

Letty and Sebastian laughed.

"Thanks Ominis, would you like a kiss now?" said Sebastian.

Letty had experimented with the telescopes and given quite a different air to the room, Ominis noticed. The two boys watched her in respectful silence. When Ominis beckoned her to the sofa, she sat down with a sigh of satisfaction, saying gratefully,

"I'd like to always be on your good side, Ominis."

And Sebastian sat between them with his own book, saying, "Well, you get used to his bad side."

"Shall I read aloud?" and Letty looked affectionately towards some inviting books nearby.

"I've already got one here," said Sebastian.

So Sebastian read and the other two listened, while Moloch brought in trays of sandwiches and tea roses. Letty's love for the two boys increased very much, for Sebastian read impressively well, while Ominis kept to himself and didn't put on any airs. She wished she could sleep there, but did not want to be rude, so she praised Sebastian till he was embarrassed, and Ominis came to the rescue.

"Alright, that will do," he said. "I'm calling it a night. Moloch, have you got their rooms in order?"

"Yes, Master Gaunt," said the house-elf from the hallway.

"Excellent," then he turned to Sebastian and Letty, saying, "Now, promise me you'll return to your own rooms? I've forgotten to replace the flowers on my Aunt's grave so I'll do that now. It's just outside. I'll be back shortly."

"I will," said Letty.

"Good night to you both then," said Ominis.

"Night Ominis!" said Sebastian.

It was a lie on all parts, for Sebastian and Letty could not resist but bend the rules while Ominis returned to the Gaunt Shack where papers laid everywhere and took the time to speak to his typewriter, which produced the events of that day into his collection of stories titled "In The Shadow of Friendship."