chapter 5: The Undercroft

┊ ⋆ ┊

┊ ⋆ ┊ . ┊ ┊

┊ ┊⋆ ┊ .

┊ ┊ ⋆˚         

✧. ┊         

⋆ ★

__________________ ׂׂૢ་༘࿐
5TH YEAR
SEPTEMBER, 1890

The problem with Sebastian and Ominis was that they liked secrets and it was also the start of Fifth Year, which excited them, for they had been counting the days in which they would show the Undercroft to their little Ravenclaw. For a moment Letty wasn't sure she liked being blindfolded after hours and steered through the castle corridors by Sebastian.

"I'm afraid I can't see," she whispered after several minutes of walking.

"Just a little further," said Sebastian whose hand gently pulled her forward.

Ominis led them down a flight of stairs and through a narrow platform where two sets of armour were being disruptive and Letty heard the slide of wood and the rush of cold, damp air (were they outside?) and the scent of wet stone filled the space. They walked along the Defense Against the Dark Arts viaduct.

Letty smiled at the thought of having a secret about the castle and wondered if anyone else knew, then nearly stumbled over the uneven ground as they got inside the DADA tower.

Sebastian laughed, though he looked startled, and said, "Watch it. You'd better not make a sound or we'll surely be caught."

He lightly shoved the small of Letty's back and they were heading up more stairs. After several more minutes, Letty knew they came to a door, for she walked right into it, and much to the two boys' amusement.

"You really can't see," said Sebastian, taking hold of her arm again.

"I told you I couldn't!"

Ominis, as though disarming a trap, unlocked the cabinet with a click. She allowed Sebastian to pilot her into the Undercroft and the door closed behind them.

Once they were inside, Sebastian undid her blindfold at last. She blinked then looked about the room, with its gloomy stone walls and pillars that ran up it and the rounded ceilings, before looking back at Sebastian and Ominis.

"Where ever did you take me?"

But she was already preoccupied with the dark corners of the room and in one peculiar nook found books and a map laid out and a strange skeletal-like triad on a table, which were left to dust and spiders.

"You ought not to tell anyone about this," said Sebastian.

"Does that mean only us three know?"

"Us three and Anne, of course," said Ominis.