chapter 4: Yule Ball

┊ ⋆ ┊

┊ ⋆ ┊ . ┊ ┊

┊ ┊⋆ ┊ .

┊ ┊ ⋆˚         

✧. ┊         

⋆ ★

__________________ ׂׂૢ་༘࿐
4TH YEAR
DECEMBER, 1889

They had known each other now for four years, he and Letty, and it bothered Sebastian that they were still awkward when they talked. Even though he felt it was largely her fault (could she be any more stubborn?) Sebastian knew this was something he must clear up before he asked her to the ball.

A little later he found her in the library annex which, apart from the greenhouses, was the only place he knew she would be. Before joining her at a table he went by a bookshelf and found something of interest then got on to the empty chair in front of her, dumping the textbook with a thud.

"Goodness, look at the size of this archive," he said. "My apologies. I figured I might rest it here for a while. Don't mind me."

"Sure. I'd hate to disturb you," and Letty was starting to pack up, folding the Astrology chart she had laid out in front of her, when Sebastian said,

"Don't go away, please."

And they both froze, for the words had never been used between them. Sebastian himself looked distraught as the words left him, but no wishing could bring it back now and for all he could tell, saying it out loud was as great a crime as the act.

"If you hit me," he said quickly, "I'll tell Ominis."

He needn't ask because Letty wasn't going to hit him, though she would rather die first than admit it. So she held off on any foul play as to maintain their newfound dynamic.

Having recognized her surrender of hostility, Sebastian relaxed and proceeded the point of his visit. It would be a waste, now that he'd gotten her attention, to back out, and Sebastian knew there was no point in stopping what came next, and that was that.

Letty herself could not believe she said yes.