xvi. opera house favoritism

✦

chapter sixteen;
opera house favoritism

Amaya never realized the wizards in this new world were so backward in regards to werewolves that Remus had been suffering unnecessarily for his whole life—of course, there was nothing yet that could take away his pain during the full moon, but the side effects before and after could be avoided.

Even in the Peninsula, where Muggleborns were hunted down like animals, and just a few years back the Peninsula became less isolated from the rest of the world (after the dictatorships fell through), they were more accepting of werewolves. Well, to a certain extent at least, especially if said werewolf was reputable and rich (in the peninsula, status was bigger than most things).

And so, she dragged James along with her to Sirius and Remus's flat. Now she was standing over the werewolf laying in bed, with Sirius and James on the other side of the bed, watching in amusement, just as Amaya was, as a very exhausted Remus tried not to freak out over the fact that Amaya knew about his condition.

He looked over at James. "Prongs, I know Amaya's your friend—"

"For fuck's sake, he didn't tell me," said Amaya impatiently, as she shoved the flask of Lagrimas de la Luna in Remus's hand. "Take two drops please."

"Uh, what is this?"

"It'll make you feel better, I swear. Or if you want, I can just keep talking while you're suffering from a migraine, and explain it to you while my voice sounds like nails against a chalkboard in your mind—"

Her words died and she smiled smugly as Remus took the two drops to shut her up. Everyone paused for a moment before Remus's shoulders slumped and his face relaxed. "What the bloody hell was that? That's bloody amazing, my wolf just went to sleep."

"They're called Lágrimas de la Luna, Moon Tears," Amaya explained with a gentle smile. "They hone in the effects of the full moon, it dulls your wolf so you don't feel it as much physically. It's still there, and powerful, but it doesn't hurt your body anymore. It doesn't do much during the full moon, or anything not moon-related like exhaustion," she said looking pointedly at him, the circles under his eyes and the lack of energy in him giving him away, "but take a drop or two every day coming up to the full moon and couple of days after and you'll feel better."

All three of them were gaping at her by the time she finished and Remus looked on the verge of tears. He cleared his throat. "How do I get one? How do you have one?"

"Well, you can keep that one for now," she told him, "I can live without it. I usually just use it to calm my emotions."

"Love?" asked Sirius, raising a hand and she looked at him, "You said it didn't work on anything not moon-related."