xv. mad or madly in love

✦

chapter fifteen;
mad or madly in love

James did as he told her. He took her for a fly only instead of playing Quidditch or racing like usual, Amaya just took off and James followed after her. He watched her as they raced the clouds, how her face got lighter with every field they passed by, every town they flew over.

He didn't know how long they'd been out, just flying without a destination by the glimmer of the moon, basking in each other's company and the silence of the night. But by the time they came back, they were already late for dinner.

As soon as they landed though, Amaya had a grin on her face and she sighed as she looked up at the sky. James's heart fluttered at the sight of her—he much preferred this version of her, the carefree version with flushed cheeks from the cold and smile that made her dimples show.

"We should do this more often," she said, her voice laced with joy as she looked at him again. "We should try and find a beach somewhere. I don't think I've been to a beach in years."

"We'll go then," James said, knowing full well he'd do just about anything for her. "Before it gets colder."

"It's already cold," she said with a smirk, feigning a shiver, even when he knew she didn't even feel a bit cold when they were high in the sky. "A hug might warm me up."

His lips raised into an involuntary smile and without hesitation he tugged her against him, and wrapped his arms around her, making her giggle as hugged him around his torso. She looked up at him, her chin resting on his chest.

"Thank you," she whispered.

He leaned down, kissing her softly. "Anytime."

A throat clearing had them jumping apart and they found Ninny by the door of the kitchen where they landed, narrowing her eyes at them, her tiny arms crossed in front of her. "Master James is late for supper. Supper is served."

Amaya seemed to be holding in a laugh as James gaped at Ninny, his arm thrown over the witch's shoulder, not being able to let go of her just yet. "Ninny! Amaya is late for dinner too."

Ninny rolled her eyes at him. "Miss Maya is being corrupted by Master James. Master James made Miss Maya late." She beamed at Amaya who, as he looked down at her, looked gleeful. "Ninny made special for Miss Maya! Miss Maya will love it!"

Amaya detangled herself from him and smiled at Ninny. "Thank you, Ninny, I'm sure I will." She crouched down and hugged Ninny, making the house elf squeak in excitement and hug her back. Amaya whispered something to Ninny and the latter giggled.

Then Amaya stood up again and winked at him before slipping inside the house, leaving James frowning at the interaction he didn't understand.

"Miss Maya said Master James wasn't late on purpose," Ninny said promptly as he walked closer.