vii. new favorite brother

✦

chapter seven;
new favorite brother

Amaya was currently running on about zero hours of sleep, multiple Pepper-Up potions, and relying on her magic to keep the levels of her body high enough for her to function without passing out from exhaustion.

And yes, perhaps, she was starting to see things, and sometimes she'd take a few good minutes to answer someone or just process a sentence she needed to read, but no one had noticed. How bad could it be?

Well, no one had noticed mostly because she kept herself active—Amaya noticed it didn't cost as much to stay awake that way. But that was hardly because she was trying to hide the fact she wasn't sleeping. No. The way she did that was to lie and say she was when she went to 'bed' at night—in reality, she stayed awake reading or taking cold showers to make sure she didn't fall asleep.

In her attempts to stay awake, Amaya decided the worst she could do was stay holed up in the library and go over notes that made anyone fall asleep. So, she'd decided to take a break from her research after finding the key and having an argument with the boys about the rat.

Of course, she stood by her instincts that told her something was shifty with that boy, and yet she just couldn't figure it out. Remus had told her Peter didn't have the Death Mark, the one thing all the Death Eaters had, and linked them to Lord What's-his-name, he told her they'd checked.

Amaya still wasn't convinced—and she felt bad for distrusting Peter, disliking him even, because he'd never been rude to her, and he was her friend's friend, but she couldn't help it.

Thankfully she knew she wasn't going insane. After the argument and the letter from Dumbledore, Amaya had gotten a letter herself from Lily (and with Marlene's annotations).

They told her that though they were sure Peter was still himself and not some lunatic pretending to be him, Amaya was right and something had to be wrong. Apparently, despite telling everyone he'd been out looking for jobs, the girls had gotten enough alcohol in him for him to admit he hadn't even begun looking properly.

It didn't seem like a big deal, but Amaya was grateful that the girls were backing her up. Though she completely understood why James—and the others—would be defensive of their friend.

Not that she gave it much thought throughout the weekend, special given that Marauder Day or whatever those morons called it didn't happen that weekend.

Thus, Amaya took it upon herself to drag the boys to the Quidditch pitch both days of the weekend, playing until her muscles were sore and she needed a magical boost to revive herself.

In turn for almost dying of exhaustion themselves, the three boys decided she needed to have her first proper class with a wand. Sirius had not been subtle that it had been his idea—still Amaya didn't fault him, he was the only one who knew of her mistrust of wands and what horrible things they were capable of.