9

As Lan Wangji was training for those few hours a day, he had to do everything in his power not to get distracted by his thoughts. He normally liked working on improving his skills but at the moment, it was hard to focus. He would be away from Wei Ying and Wei Ying was still in pain. Wangji hated seeing him in pain. He wasn't even strong enough to travel yet. His headaches are still too much to bear and he is always nauseated and tired.

Wangji's heart ached for him. He didn't want to be away from Wei Ying at all. When he was away for those few hours a day, Wei Ying would be with one of a few people, such as Lan Qiren, Lan Xichen, or he would spend time in a private room in the infirmary. One of the healers would always be in his presence and they have come to adore him.

Shirong was locked in a cell in the dungeons for what he did. He was beaten by a bow once a day for the past week that Wei Ying was first hurt. After some time in the dungeons, more parents have come forward about their children being beaten or unfairly punished by Shirong during his classes. Each of this kids he tortured, told what he did, and that was inflicted back on him. The one thing that made it more than just karma, is that his abilities were sealed so he could not use his spiritual energy to help him heal.

Wangji would use his hatred for the man to keep focus on his training. Each target he came across, he'd picture it as Shirong. Finding some way to beat or torture or kill the bastard. After the few hours of training, Wangji would go spend an hour at the cold spring to calm down his rage. He was just getting to worked up over it. He wanted Wei Ying to feel better and he wanted to get him away from the sects. He wanted answers and he wanted to know how to get him back to his correct age. After his time at the cold spring, he would go get Wei Ying with whomever he was currently with as he was recovering, and bring him back to the Jingshi.

"Zhan-Ge?" Wei Ying asked.

"Hmm?"

"I am hungry," Wei Ying said quietly.

Wangji smiled, "Is there anything you want to eat specifically?"

"Shijie's soup," Wei Ying said.

Lan Wangji froze in place for a moment. He was trying to get his brain back to speed, "Shijie's soup?" Wangji asked.

"She made Lotus Root and Pork Rib soup when I first started living with her," Wei Ying told him, "Do you know how to make it?"

Wangji nodded, "I can make it for you," He said. Wangji was not trying to rack his brain around how Wei Ying was getting his memories, "Do you remember anything about your Shijie?"

"She is nice," Wei Ying said, "Jiang Cheng told me that he would send dogs after me and I ran away. Shijie found me hiding in a big tree. I fell from the tree and hurt my leg, and she helped me get back."

Wangji knew some of Wei Ying's past but now he was learning a lot more of his childhood, "I will make sure no dogs ever come near you."

"I know, I feel safest with you," Wei Ying said, "You are also very warm."

Wangji smiled at him, "Are you cold?"

"A little bit," he replied.

Wangji adjusted him in his arms and managed to get his outer robe to wrap around him partially. It was enough to help him warm up a bit more. Wangji held him as he was in the kitchen in the Jingshi and made Wei Ying his soup. As Wangji was prepping and cooking, he let Wei Ying snack on Lotus seeds. Lan Xichen has been making sure to have shipments of lotus seeds and pods come once a month for the sake of Wei Ying. It was even before Wei Ying turned back into a child. He had also learned some other things that Wei Ying likes which he always knew, is anything covered in spice.

After finishing the soup, he made Wei Ying a bowl and set him up at the table, "How is your head feeling?" Wangji asked.

"It doesn't hurt as much today, but I am still tired," Wei Ying said, "Healer Mei did give me something for my head not long ago though."

"Alright, if it gets worse, tell me," Wangji demanded.

"Yes, Sir," Wei Ying said playfully, "Why do you go train all the time?"

"Because you and I are going to be traveling as soon as you are well enough," Wangji said, "I am just making sure I am strong enough to protect you from any monsters, spirits, or other beasts."

"You won't leave me like Momma and Papa did, right?" Wei Ying asked.

"I will never leave you, I will do everything in my power to be by your side," Wangji answered, "Do you understand? I love you very much, and I cannot bear to lose you."

"I love Zhan-Ge too," Wei Ying said.

/////////////

I know this is a shorter chapter but I have been a bit busy lately. With the holidays coming it's been a bit hard. I do hope you enjoy it.

Also, starting Christmas Eve (2023) I will be on break and will not be updating again until the week of January 8th, 2024.