15⚠️

⚠️Sensitive content in this chapter. I'm just going to say it's a chapter that you may want tissues for. I needed them just writing this chapter. Topics of mourning and grief, as well as childhood depression⚠️
.
.
.
__________

Lan Qiren was still beyond surprised. The Wei Ying now is so much more polite and friendly but still carefree compared to the past Wei Ying who was mischievous, broke rules, and didn't study often but still seemed like a smartass. Being around Wei Ying for about a month now, he was really enjoying the boy's company. Lan Qiren was never one who thought he'd raise children, especially in the past when it came to his nephews. He has learned from his past mistakes and did what he could to better himself this time.

Lan Qiren and Qingheng Jun met up at field just past the training grounds so that the three boys could get some fresh air. They had the day off from lectures so it was good for Wei Ying to bond with Wangji and Xichen. Wangji and Xichen may have memories from the past but Wei Ying does not. That didn't bother Wangji or Xichen though as it was good to see Wei Ying so happy and carefree. While the kids hung out, Lan Qiren and Qingheng Jun sat off to the side just enjoying the day.

"How are you feeling, Xiongzhang?" Lan Qiren asked.

"I'm doing better. I suppose spending time with my sons actually does help," Lan Xiang replied, "but it's a bit hard at times. I see their mother in both of them. While Xichen has her features, Wangji has her eyes."

"You are not alone, Xiongzhang," Lan Qiren said, "I should have tried to be there more for you."

"You did a lot for me, you took in my sons as yours even though you didn't have to. You became a father to them when they needed you," Lan Xiang stated.

"They are my family," Lan Qiren said and looked at Wei Ying, "Wei Ying though, I need to make amends too. That's why I took him in, to make up for my actions in the past."

"I take it he is like his mother?" Lan Xiang questioned with a grin.

"Too much," Lan Qiren grumbled.

Lan Xiang chuckled, "he seems like a good kid. I'm sure there was a reason Wangji was so drawn to him. Even now, I can see it."

"He loves as deeply as you do, Xiongzhang," Lan Qiren says, "no matter what, he'd be there for Wei Ying. I can tell he has his own regrets and I'm sure he wants to fix them."

"We will help him through it this time," Lan Xiang assured him.

Over with Wangji, Xichen, and Wei Ying, they were actually sitting around making lanterns. The three had their own but Wei Ying looked like he was at a loss for what to do. He glanced at the Lan brothers from time to time to see what they were doing. Wei Ying then looked over at Lan Qiren and Lan Xiang.

They are all family, they are not my family, Wei Ying thought as he felt alone.

Wei Ying managed to slip away without anyone noticing and walked down the path past the training grounds and sat alone in a field where he spotted a couple little bunnies. He sat there and hugged his legs to his chest, trying not to cry. He didn't know why these people took him in, giving him clothes, food, and a place to sleep. They were kind but he didn't feel comfortable at the same time. He felt he could lose this place, and he was hit was a sense of Deja Vu, as if he had felt like this before when he can't even remember when or where.

"You left," a small voice said suddenly.

Wei Ying lifted his head from his knees and looked at the person who spoke to him. It was Lan Wangji. It was the boy who Wei Ying called an angel the day they met. Wei Ying stared at him for a moment as he wasn't expecting Lan Wangji to come find him. Wei Ying looked away from him and stared at the ground. He didn't even say anything.

"Why are you sad?" Wangji asked him as he sat down by him.

"Not my home, not my family," Wei Ying finally answered and let tears finally fall, "don't belong here. Miss my parents."

Wangji already knew Wei Ying was still feeling hurt but he wasn't going to let Wei Ying suffer alone. Wangji may be a child again but he wanted to be there for him.

"You belong here," Wangji assured him, "Will do better to assure you feel better. I am sorry about your parents."

Wei Ying shook his head, "I will lose this place. I feel it."

"You won't," Wangji assured him, "and I want you to be my friend. Will you?"

Wei Ying looked at Wangji like he had grown two heads, "why? I'm nothing special."

"You are," Wangji assured him.

Wei Ying still didn't seem to agree but was taken completely off guard when Wangji grabbed him and pulled him to his lap. Wei Ying placed his hands on Wangji's shoulders and leaned back a bit. They were face to face, and their faces were not that far apart. Wei Ying didn't know how he felt. He felt his cheeks get warm and he looked away from him. Wangji then placed his left hand on the back of Wei Ying's head and pulled him into a hug.

"I will be there for you," Wangji assured him some more, "Come to me anytime you want. You belong here. You may not be a lan but this is still your home. I promise."

Wei Ying found himself crying into Wangji's shoulder. He felt a sense of security in Wangji's arms and he hasn't felt like this since he was separated from his parents. Wangji somehow made him feel safe and okay. It confused him but he didn't want to think about that right now. He just wanted to soak in this warm comfortable feeling.