Chapter 4

They climbed the vast staircase on the right and came to a long passageway full of lockers. They walked to the end of it and turned right.

They climbed unto another flight of stairs and unto another passageway full of corridors with huge firmly shut doors.

Mira tried her best to mastermind the paths they had followed but her mind was in surprised chaos as she stared in wonder at the beauty of the school.

Before long, they came to a door with the words 'PRINCIPAL' S OFFICE' boldly inscribed on a small flat square-like carved transparent plastic and artistically nailed to the wall at the top wall of the door.

"This is the principal's office" the girl gestured to the huge door as she stopped and turned to Mira.

Mira muttered another round of thanks and the girl nodded and walked hurriedly away.

Mira felt very grateful to the girl as she stared at her behind till she was out of sight and into another passageway. Then she turned to the door and knocked lightly.

Almost immediately, a faint voice from within called "Come in".

Mira was briefly surprised for she had expected the door to be locked. She slowly pulled at the door's large handle, pushed it in and at once walked in, feeling a little timid and exhausted.

Behind an expensive looking huge leather desk in the room, sat a lightly plumb man of an average height. He was a very light skinned with an almost white skin, a little lighter shade from Mira's olive skin

He wore a brown suit on a pair of white shirt with a long nutted brown tie. He had on, a pair of tiny spectacles which seemed to be relaxing more on his nose  than in front of his eyes.
He had a stern looking face which made Mira to gasp in nervousness but the middle aged man didn't seem to notice. Instead, he was reading and staring at an open file on the desk in front of him.

The huge desk was covered with files, sheets of printed papers, newspapers and magazines, an electrical computer system and a personal laptop which he seemed to researching something on and lastly, a little flat piece of transparent glass standing on four tiny shiny metal legs just on the top front of the table, with 'Larry Simon' inscribed on it and 'School Principal' just before the name in an orderly pattern.

Finally, he looked up slowly, his bald head glinting slightly in the sun from the drawn blinds of the  large windows in the large office.

"Hello miss. How may I help you?" he asked staring up at Mira from behind his tiny spectacles.

"My name Is Mira Whiteley. I... I am a newly transferred student by the state to be enrolled through scholarship in this school" Mira replied in obvious nervousness.

She had never stood before a total stranger like this trying to explain herself and doing it for the first time wasn't quite easy.

"oh I see" the principal muttered with a slight nod. "Are you the transferred student from the countryside?" he asked.

"Yes sir, I am." Mira answered trying hard to hide her nervousness and feel relaxed.

The principal noticed her uneasiness "Oh please pardon me, where are my manners? Please do have a sit" he said gesturing to the thick leathered office chair which stood adjacent to the table and directly opposite him.

Mira nodded and walked hurriedly towards the chair before her already wobbling legs could fail her.

"Thank you sir" she said feeling quite grateful as she sat down.

The principal shook his head slightly "Never mind. so did you bring your letter of transfer with you or were you not given one?"

"No i was give one by the principal of my previous school and I brought it along" she said fishing out the enveloped letter from inside her bag. She felt more relaxed now that her legs didn't carry all the weight of her body.

When she finally got it out, she handed it over to the principal who carefully undid the envelope, brought out the letter and read it silently and obviously repeatedly.

After reading the letter to his satisfaction, he finally dropped it on his desk with a soft sigh. In a very swift movement, he brought out a long black thickly covered book from one of the cupboards under his desk. He opened it as his other available hand fetched a blue inked pen. "Can I have your name again please?"

"Mira Whiteley." she replied and he wrote it down on the the large book.

"What about your current address and your home telephone number?" he asked again with his eyes still fixed on the book on the desk in front of him.
Mira called it all out to him and he wrote it down. He closed the book quickly and returned it back to the cupboard as swiftly as he had taken it, before locking it firmly.

He pressed a small electric bell on his table that Mira had not noticed when she had first come in.

She gazed about the office and saw that it was richly furnished too. On one side of the large room were three large and long thick leathered cushions and a transparent glass table stood in the little circle it had formed. At the other far end were two large and gigantic shelves neatly packed with books and files of different colour's an sizes and in an applausingly orderly manner.

Not long after, a tall slender man in his early thirties who was smartly dressed in a grey suit and a long grey notted tie knocked on the door and entered immediately without waiting for a reply or permission.

He strolled across the room and stopped a bit closer to where the principal sat, before he bowed his head slightly and greeted in a very respectful manner "Good morning Sir".

Mira jolted at the realization that she had not even greeted the principal when she had first entered and she prayed silently in her heart that he hadn't noticed at all.

She stared at the young and smart looking young man and guessed that he must have come in from one of the shut doors in the passageway and might be the principal's secretary or who ever he was, she just didn't care.

The principal looked up at the young man and said in a flat tone. "Good day to you too Tom. Show miss Mira to her class, she is in 12th grade and is a newly transferred student from the countryside. Get her introduced to her homeroom teacher and her fellow students".

The young man turned to Mira for the first time and nodded immediately to the principal "Yes Sir. Follow me miss." he muttered politely as he turned and began walking to the exit door.

Mira stood up relieved to at last, to be heading to her class after the day's troubles she had taken to get here.

"Thank you sir" Mira appreciated with a slight bow to the principal just as she had seen the young man who had just left now do in greetings.

The principal nodded affirmatively before calling to her "I hope you come a bit more early next time. You were exactly fifteen minutes late today which is a very bad beginning record for a new comer. This is not a school in the countryside, so try to be more punctual." the principal said calmly.

"I am sorry. I had a little bit of trouble finding my way here" Mira explained as her face flushed in embarrassment.

"You should get someone to help you explore the school later in the day, so you don't get into trouble" he advised.

"I will and thanks again" Mira said as she slipped out of the door in pursuit of the young man who had been assigned to lead her.

**********************
Hi guys! Did you enjoy the chapter?

Mira is on her way to her new class. What do you think she gonna find? Do you think she will be welcomed nicely?

You can try guessing till we get to the next chapter.

I have got load of surprises for you!
Please don't forget to vote if you liked this chapter.

Love you all...