Chapter 11

Minutes later, Mira returned to her table and she and Katya rounded up their lunch before heading back to class.

They luckily got to class before the bell rang off for the end of the lunch break period.

Thank goodness Katya had gotten rid of the ugly drawing on her desk just as she had promised. Katya had gotten cleaning supplies from the janitors room and had gotten it cleaned up in no time even before the lunch break bell had gone off.

Mira sat through the remaining day's lectures half attentive to the lectures being taught. She still felt a bit down by Catherina's drawing and warnings earlier that day.

She let out a deep sigh of relieve when the loud ring of the bell for the end of the school day reached her already expectant ears.

She and Katya packed up their things into their school bags and headed straight to the parking lot to get their bikes.

As Mira and Katya got to the open and spacious parking lot, Mira caught a brief sight of Steve through his car's wound down side glass as he drove out of the school gate in his blue avalon.

She couldn't lie to herself, He looked really cool in it.

Mira and Katya quickly got on their bicycles and rode cheerfully together till they got to their parting path and Katya rode to her house while Mira rode straight on to hers.

When Mira was passing by Steve's house, she saw him coming out of his car which was already parked carefully in his spacious driveway.

"Hello Steve?!" Mira called out to Steve with a smile.

"Hi Mira!" Steve replied as he turned to her and returned the smile.

Mira waved at him and rode on to her house.

"Hello mum! I'm home...!" Mira called immediately she entered the house as she locked the door carefully behind her.

"Mum?" She called expectantly again but there was still no reply. She walked to the kitchen and found a short written note written on a white sheet of paper on the breakfast table.

She stared questionably at it as she slowly picked it up and opened the note. It was written neatly, in her mother's handwriting. She eye scanned it for a while before reading it slowly and inwardly.

'Hi Mira! Hope school was great? I apologise for my sudden and unannounced absence at home. I went out for an interview for a  job I have been following up for a while now. I hope luck will be on my side and I get it. Your dinner is I the microwave. I'm sorry that I may not be home till past bed time. Go to bed early. Lovely dreams!

Lots of love...
Sweet mum xx

Mira folded the paper and dropped it back in place as excitement flew widely within her. 'Mum won't be home till midnight? What a divine opportunity!' She said quietly to herself as a tiny smile formed on her face.

She quickly brought out her mum's recipe book where she had hidden it on one  of the top shelves in the kitchen.

In a hastily but steady motion, Mira began making strawberry cupcakes with the aid of her mother's recipe manual.

Three hours later, she was sweating profusely as she brought out a dozen of freshly baked strawberry cupcakes from the medium sized electric oven.

After waiting for about twenty minutes to allow the cakes to cool, she retrieved a small bag of colourful icing sugar and a jar of pickles from one of the shelves and began making different decorative designs on the lightly brownish surface of the cupcakes.