Chapter 9

"Good afternoon mum!" Mira called out to her mother as she entered the house.

"Good afternoon Mira! How was school today?" Josephina asked back in a sweet voice as Mira found her way to the kitchen where her mother was.

"School was great" Mira replied. "I smell something delicious. What's cooking mum?! " Mira asked as she came to stand behind her mother trying to peek as what she was making.

"I'm making some strawberry cupcakes to send our new neighbors as a neighborhood  introduction present!" Josephina replied with an excited smile.

"which neighbours exactly? it's been a few days since we moved in and it's today you want to send them an introduction present?!" Mira asked wide eyed in surprise.

"There's no problem with that Mira. I'm sure they will understand 'cause it's been hectic and time consuming trying to get things in place in this house" Josephina explained, bringing out the hot freshly baked cupcakes out from the oven with a thick kitchen glove.

"So what mom, Who is gonna to send it to them?" Mira asked.

"Mira darling! Could you please help me..."

"... Gosh Mum! Please don't ask me to do it! You know I just resumed school today. I have a lot of school work to fix up" Mira interrupted quickly but Josephina only kept mute as she stared pleadingly at her.

"Okay mum. You know, you are the one making me do this 'cause I'm not fully attached to this idea. Is it done yet?" Mira asked surrendering.

"Thanks Mira! They are out already. Give me a minute to wrap them up" Josephina muttered, taking off the kitchen gloves as she carefully wrapped the cupcakes into different fancy paper bags and handed them to Mira.

"So who is the first neighbour on your list?" Mira asked, carefully dropping the fancy bags on the dinning table as she turned to face her mother.

"Firstly, the neighbour on the right, then afterwards, the neighbour on the left. Then lastly the one directly across the street" Josephina replied , counting on her fingers.

"Mum! Are you serious? Have you seen the house on the left? It's a huge house and it's occupants must be very rich. So, why should we send a bunch of cupcakes to them? Did they ever come here asking for a meal?" Mira asked a bunch of questions in one breath.

" Mira, don't mind it. I'm sure they will appreciate it. They are still our neighbour whether with a big house or not. So, we shouldn't exempt them" Josephina remarked with a slight frown visible on her face.

"Mum, you better pray that they don't reject it" Mira said pouting as she stormed out of the house, holding firmly onto the fancy bags of cupcakes.

Mira stopped in front of her house as she stood still, inwardly contemplating on which house to visit first.

She would first go to the house on the left, then to the one across the street and lastly, to the rich-looking house on the left.

She knew the occupant of the house on the left. An old lady lived there alone with her big scary-looking cat.

She had seen her a few times and she had acted nice and warm. At least, going there first was a good start.
***
Fifteen minutes later, Mira walked across the street from the house directly opposite hers.

She was finally going to the last house on her list, which was the large house on the left.

It was a beautiful house but she had never seen any of it's occupants. At least, for the last few days since she moved in. One of the paper bag of cupcakes still remained and she had to get it delivered to it's owners.