four

Past

Vidhi had been resting for a while, her foot healing slowly. Even though she still had a slight limp, she felt ready to return to school. She'd missed a couple of weeks, but thankfully, her classmate Dina had been bringing her notes every day. It surprised Vidhi because she never saw Dina as that kind-hearted. Later, she realized it wasn't Dina sending those notes—it was someone else, and she silently appreciated their help.

A week back, Vidhi left her aunt's place when her dad showed up, trying to apologize and make amends. But Vidhi knew better. She saw through his act; he only wanted someone to take care of his chores and cook for him at home. She understood he was beyond redemption, and she wasn't falling for his manipulation again but still she returned not wanting to burden her aunt any further.

Vidhi held onto her bag straps, walking towards school, her gaze fixed on the road. The neighborhood knew what she'd been through, a familiar story to them all, yet she couldn't shake off the embarrassment. Passing by, whispers followed her—some laughed, others expressed pity. She despised both reactions, feeling a knot tightening inside her, but her foot's ache and the limp kept her rooted in that suffocating space.

As she arrived at school, Vidhi breathed a sigh of relief. Here, she wouldn't face those unbearable pity-filled gazes. Mockery, though not ideal, was something she had grown used to handling.

"Hey! Why are you here?" a voice called out to Vidhi as she felt someone approaching. She turned, recognizing the familiar voice running toward her.

"Bored at home. Can't miss more classes," she replied, her expression stoic, avoiding eye contact. Talking to him now might lead to tears after the morning's events.

Yuvraj sensed her unease and, glancing around cautiously, took her hand, leading her gently to a quiet spot behind the school's classrooms.

"What's going on? I need to go to class. If anyone sees us here, it'll be trouble," Vidhi fretted, nervously scanning the area.

Yuvraj remained silent, reaching into his bag and pulling out a small Tupperware box. Opening it, he handed it to Vidhi. She looked at the box, then at him, and asked, "Yeh kya hai?"

"Dry fruits, obviously!" Yuvraj chuckled at her question, handing her the box. "I know you skipped breakfast. Have these, they're healthy," he insisted, taking her heavy bag without waiting for her refusal.

"I won't let you go to class until you finish these. You know I can be stubborn," Yuvraj asserted with determination.

Vidhi struggled to form words. No one had ever done something like this for her. She hadn't eaten breakfast or dinner the night before, secretly grateful for the handful of dry fruits he offered. Silently, she began nibbling on them, tears welling in her eyes as Yuvraj simply watched.

Once she finished, she closed the box and handed it back. He stowed it in his bag, then helped her with her own bag.

"Feeling better now? If you're in pain, tell me immediately, okay?" Yuvraj said, putting her bag on her shoulder.

"Okay," Vidhi replied, almost childlike.

"Ready to go, Sharma?" Yuvraj asked, but Vidhi hesitated.

"Thank you, Yuvraj, for everything," she said, meeting his eyes sparkling in the morning light. Her filled stomach overwhelmed her, tears streaming down her face.

"Hey, hey! Stop crying," Yuvraj gently wiped her tears away, causing her to cry even harder.

"Why are you kind to me? Just treat me like others. Don't do this; I can't get used to someone caring about me. What if one day you're gone, and I can't bear it?" Vidhi blurted out between sobs and hiccups.