Chapter five: Whole new world

"You never know what's coming for you."~Eric Roth.

LUKE
___________________________

I woke up the next day and everything looked so different. You won't believe me if I tell you that I woke up in a room filled with many people, mostly people of my age and slightly older than me.

It looked more like a student hostel but I was sure school hadn't resumed and I wasn't even a boarding student.

We just had the meeting in the night....

All these thoughts flowed through my brain and then when I couldn't bear the suspense any longer, I began to shout. Looking for answers that I need.

"Where am I, where in God's name is this place!" I shouted and everyone who seemed to be busy dressing stopped and all stared at me, both in surprise and pity as though something bad has happened.

They all started to whisper to themselves and I heard someone saying something like "oh, he's finally awake?"

"Yeah I guess I am but where is this place" I said this in my mind then asked again, "Can someone tell me how I got here, please" I reduced my tone this time.

Then, someone approached me. He looked like someone I knew but my brain couldn't process his identity.

But I was sure I knew that dude!

"Hey, you're awake!" He said.

"Yeah, I am. What's up with that?" I replied.

"Well I'm Joe...."

"Yeah! I remember you, Joe from school. You're a class ahead of me in school. You were one of those that disappeared in the night and never came back.Wait, you all are!" I interrupted him the moment his identity flashed through my mind.

"Yes, I bet you will remember everything about it, but don't you go about speaking it out too loud or they'll make you regret it, "Luke"" He said keeping his voice as low as possible.

"Ok, but tell me where this place is exactly" I told him as soon as he was done talking.

"Well, as you already know, this is where those that has been kidnapped by the so called "mr. Dark" are kept. We don't actually know the exact location but they call it "The Base", so that's it" He replied.

"So what exactly do you guys do here?" I asked him

"We are being put under training, we train like soldiers do. Maybe for a war or something......"

He was interrupted but a loud bell.
"Gbam!"

The bell went only once and everyone lined up immediately in twos with their uniform and boot on.

I didn't know what to do, so I just sat on my bed watching them in surprise.

Just then, the iron bar that served as the door opened to reveal a hefty man of about thirty. Beside him was a boy of about fifteen years of age probably his son because they looked alike and he was dressed in a different uniform, almost like the man's.

As he stepped forward, everyone saluted him without looking at his face.

Then all a sudden, he stared murderously at me.

My heartbeat seemed to stop for two seconds then began to beat faster.

"Hey! New boy. Come over" He said referring to me.

I walked fearfully to him.

"Walk like a soldier before I make you do!" He shouted.

" But I'm not a soldier" I said to myself and increased my pace not wanting to test his patience.

"Take your uniform, dress up and join the line, immediately" He said looking so serious.

"Y-y-yes sir" I replied fearfully.

I went up to the boy to receive my uniform and he handed it over to me with a smirk on his face.

I think I heard him whisper something like "which kind of potential soldier sleeps for seven days."

The man laughed a bit and added "others do wake up after two days but I think his head couldn't carry the amount of drugs given to him that's why he's been out for a week"

"Poor boy" The boy added making me angrier than ever but I couldn't do anything so, I walked up to my bed and dressed in the soldier-like uniform and the boot I received from him.

"Join the line boy, don't be lazy!" He shouted once more referring to me.

I joined the line immediately waiting for the next command.

"Soldiers!"

"Yes commander!"

"Soldiers are you ready?"

"Yes sir!"

"Match out with your partner to the training ground. Training should have started few minutes ago" he said and everyone started moving.

I followed every move they made to avoid being punished by the man I have come to know as "Commander."

- - - - - - - -
"Soldiers!"

"Yes sir!"

"I can't hear you!"

"Yes sir!"

"Soldiers! What happens when someone unexpectedly attacks you without your consent?"

"Will you just give in and allow the fool to take your life?"

"No sir!"

"This is why the act of defense is very important and that is what we'll look into during this our morning session of training"

"Wait, there are still other sessions of training today?" I asked Joe who was very close me.

"Sure. This is just the beginning because we still have about two much sessions ahead which are even harder than this" Joe replied me smiling as though he had seen the worst part of life.

"I didn't sign up for this" I said

"No one did. We are just victims of circumstance , so just keep your head low. Behave yourself and follow the rules of you want to survive here" Joe concluded.

"Well Mr. ? Do you mind telling me what I defined defense as?" That was the commander speaking.

I never knew he was close to us but luckily he wasn't referring to me but Joe.

"Uhm sir, you said defense is the act of defending oneself" Said Joe and everyone burst into an uncontrollable laughter that died off the moment they saw the anger in the face of the commander.

"Everyone get down and give me fifty push up each. When you're done, Mr. Joe you come up and do an extra hundred and fifty for your actions."

Everyone were doing it as though it wasn't their first time. Thanks goodness I do exercise myself so it wasn't hard to do about thirty five.

I had to try my best to complete the fifty being given to us.

Joe walked up to the front and didn't stop until he was done with with the hundred and fifty that was added to him.

I also noticed that the girls were also on their own training session on the other side of the field so, no one is left out.

"I can't believe this is how I'm going to live my life. " I said as we entered into our room to freshen up for breakfast.

———————————————
Author's note

Luke who we hoped on has been taken hostage.
Do you think his friends will come for him?
Let me know your thoughts in the comment session

Your votes and support counts and would be appreciated by me

Thank you 💜