Chapter Ten: So, It began

MAYA

After the reconciliation, Max and I became pretty close, as friends though.

We mapped out a plan on how to track down the place the captives were being taken to, we tried so many strategies as it was very hard to decipher the location as no one had ever caught the incidence on camera nor has any of the captives or at least made it home.

"This is isn't easy to crack at all. Don't get me wrong but you know, this detective stuff isn't just my thing.I sorry, you might feel like you are the only one doing the whole work.

It's not like I don't care but....."

"It's okay, Max. I get it." I interrupted Max who had been criticizing himself for long now.

"You know, I don't think I'll be doing doing the whole work though. You'll have your own part." I said smiling mischievously at Max, who knew something was up.

"Hmmm...ok. So what do I do?" He inquired looking suspicious.

"Since I get to do the investigation process, I think I'll be the brain, while you are the strength.

I make out the plans, you execute it."

"What! That's cheating though." He exclaimed jokingly.

Then, I nodded before responding, "of course it's part of the brain stuff. But don't worry, I won't let you have all the fun alone."

"That's okay with me though. So what do we do now?" He inquired.

"Well, let's see. Hmmmm.... First of all, we need to get the file of the captives, containing the date, time and mode of occurrence if any and...."

"And that can only be found in the Chief Investigation Officer's office (CIO)." Max interrupted continuing from where I stopped.

"Yeah. And to do that you've got to pass through the security there and even if you do, it would be impossible to sneak into the CIO's office, unnoticed. This is almost impossible." I said staring at an open space for long before Max broke the ice.

"Unless, we know a way to enter the office without needing the security to search or suspect us."

"How do you mean?" I asked the already mind blowing Max who felt as though he was on top of the world for thinking of an idea which he hadn't even voiced out yet to be verified.

"The new CIO is Luke's Dad. Have you forgotten?" He asked opening my mind to understand where he was heading at.

Why hadn't I thought of this earlier? Now he'll think he's smarter.

"I remember, so then, what do you do?"

"I think I'll approach him. Maybe to make him feel like I was there to grieve with him. Afterwards I'll try to follow him to the office, then boom, I'll take photos of the files and then we're done.

But wait a minute, you said 'you' as if you are not gonna come with me. What's on your mind?"

"Well, let me break your own idea down to you" I said feeling like the 'boss' again. Max looked focused, staring with eyes wide open at me.

Then I continued, "when you get into the office. Let's say you did, how then do you take the photos right in front of him without being confronted?" I asked.

"Yeah.... that's true, I clearly didn't think of that. You must have something in mind. Don't you?"Max replied looking defeated.

"Of course. That's why am the brain and that is where I come in.

When you get into the office and must have made some comfortable conversations with him. You text me, then I'll call him using the receptionist line. This will make him leave to answer the call when he sees it's important and from his son's friend."

"I get it now. Nice plan." Max said giving me a thumbs up.

"So this means am not going anywhere with you. I'll stay back to do my part. You get the point now, right?"

"Ay ay boss!" Replied Max jokingly making me throw the folded paper with, at him.

"Well that's a good start. I better leave for their home. It's already evening, so he must have returned from work." Max said standing to leave.

"Yeah. Goodluck with that." I waved at him with my eyes glued to my laptop screen.

Well I hope this works though.

MAX

Leaving Maya's place, I felt satisfied due to the fact that I made a point there and also before we made progress in our plans.

I took the nearest cab to Luke's home and while in the cab. The news came on and it wasn't any good thing either, so I didn't bother putting my mind to it. I just sat there, waiting for us to get to our location.

The driver noticed my mood and tried to get in a conversation with me, which I wasn't even ready for.

"Hey young man. I know you must be feeling unhappy right now but look around you, there are still reasons to be happy." He said smiling at me but I didn't feel like smiling back.

Reason to smile, he said. As if there are any. It's because he isn't young or maybe he doesn't have any young child not any child at all. That should be why he's feeling this way.

He must think that he has nothing to loose.

I didn't feel like replying to his foolish discussion so, I didn't and when he noticed that I wasn't going to talk, he quietly focused on his job till we got to our destination being Anna's place.

I knocked on the front door and after what seemed like eternity, someone opened the door. It was Luke's mom and she looked pale probably due to the fact that she must have been crying herself out ever since Luke's case.

"Good day mrs. Smith. How are you doing?"

After pulling herself together, she managed to say in a tiny voice,

"I'm good Max. Thanks for asking.

Please do come in and make yourself comfortable."