Chapter six: Friends are Foes?

"What the hell did we do to deserve this?"~ Tony Hayward

LUKE
__________________________

"So what you're telling me is that I've been out for over a week?"

"Yeah, we feared you won't wake up again but you did" said Joe

"But it felt like it was just yesterday that...."

"That what happened?" Joe inquired from me.

"I was with my friends in the night. We had a meeting on how to unveil the identity of Mr. Dark then my sister interrupted the meeting. They all left then I slept and woke up in this room." I explained.

"Well, you were clearly unconscious. It's either the drug was in excess or that your body could hold it."

"But the good thing is that you're awake. Cheer up man!" Joe said tapping me at my back.

"Yeah" I said absentmindedly

"You know, you should start seeing this place as your new home." Joe said almost whispering.

"Why should I?" I asked looking serious.

"Because from the look of things, I don't think we're leaving here anytime soon." Someone replied from our back.

"I know you. You were the guy that made me fail my test all because you thought you were a saint! You were lucky your overprotective sister kind of saved you. You're uhm, Luke. Aren't you?"

It was at that moment that I recognized the guy. He was once my classmate. Always claiming to be above and better everyone in class. In other terms he was a first class bully!

He once beat up a student who didn't allow him to ride on his new bike. He beat the poor boy up then trashed the bike.

On a Friday in school, we had a test on Mathematics and unfortunately he was sitting next to me. Bad luck though.

He thought I would allow cheat from me but I had other plans. I wanted to teach a lesson.

He signaled me to pass my work over to him but I told him to wait so that he can write them all when I'm done.

He believed and waited.

When I finished, I stood up immediately and submitted to the surprise of the bully and those who noticed what transpired between us.

Everyone finished just in time and left him to face his work.

After school, he tried to have his revenge but unfortunately for him, Mary was there with me and always with me.

The next day that we learnt from Mr. Sam our mathematics teacher that the only one person failed the test and would have to repeat the class.

That one person was Jonathan. He left to another school the next year.

Yes! Jonathan was his name. The one person I never expected to encounter even in such a time was right in front of me trying to continue from where he stopped in school.

"So tell me, Lukas. Where do you...."

"Don't call me that! Am Luke just Luke not Lukas you fool" I interrupted him shouting.

"Oh, Luke just Luke! I see that you are trying to be a hero by fighting back. Come on, let's see what you've got." He said then tried to slap me.

I was expecting the slap to be unforgettable but I didn't feel anything.

Someone held his hands before he did!

It was Joe.

"That's enough Jonathan. You can't just start your old life here after what we're going through!" He shouted at Jonathan.

"Yeah I guess I shouldn't" he told Joe then turned to me "This is not over Luke. We shall see" he said then left to meet his crew.

"Don't be so sure!" Joe shouted as Jonathan left then he just waved and laughed.

"Come on Luke, don't mind the fool. Let's go back to what we were discussing before he interrupted" Joe said while patting me at my back.

"Right. So where were we again?"

MAX
_________________________

"Luke can't be missing! No he can't. He was just there with us at the meeting. No! No! No! Not Luke!"

"Come on Max. You know he is. It's been eight days now and we all know it is the work of Mr. Dark. Believe he's gone and all we have to do is to find a way to help" Maya told me sympathetically.

"A way to help? You must be joking right? You all know it was after the meeting that Luke was taken and....."

"And that means whoever took Luke might have us next on his list!" I said interrupting Ann.

"Come on guys. Luke is our friends. We were in this together with him and least we can do is to find a way to help him because if any of us would have been in such a situation, he would have helped!" Said Maya

"Don't be so sure" Ann told Maya, paused for few seconds, then continued. "If he cared about us as you imply, he wouldn't have told us to come over to his house instead of ours."

"I think he's selfish." I said

"If he hadn't chosen his house and chose any other person's, we'll all still have to move to the person's house. So it is literally the same thing." Maya defended.

"No. It isn't. Right guys?" Said Ann

"It is clearly not the same thing." I added.

"If it was, why did he choose his over ours?" Said Ann.

"It's clearly selfishness Maya. Stop trying to cover him up!" I angrily told Maya.

"You know what?" Said Maya

"What?" We both replied almost at the same time.

"I'm done with this conversation. We should help Luke because he's our friend and you guys didn't object when he said we should come over to his place. You all agreed and here you are trying to use it as an excuse to cover up your fear?" Said Maya

"I'm not trying to cover up any fear" Said Max.

Then I added, "neither am I"

"Yes you are! You are afraid that what took him might come for us and I'm saying this because I'm not gonna say it again, We need to help Luke. Let me know whenever you guys are ready to act." She said and left the call.

"Well, looks like it's a goodbye from her" I told Ann who was still on the call.

"Yeah and so is it for me. I've got important things to do. Bye!"

"Bye" I said then ended the call I started.

"I'm definitely not going to risk my life for some else" I told myself thinking about what Maya said.

—————————————
Author's note

With their friendship tearing apart do you think they'll still team up to rescue their friend, Luke or even go after the unsolved mystery?

Well, maybe YES, maybe NO.

Find out in the next chapter!

Please don't forget to Vote and add your comments

Thanks everyone 💜