Chapter twelve: Any plan Luke?

Luke

Living in the T- base (that was what we always heard our commander call it, so it became the name) has really taught me a lot.

I've learnt to stand up for myself and guess who taught me that? It was Jonathan. My one time enemy from school, the first person to confront me when I was new here. Yeah, that was the person that taught me that.

Jonathan and I became friends after a single night incident.

That night, it was was cold and quiet. Everyone couldn't wait to go to bed as we were all tired as usual and the weather was also best for sleeping.

We were all meant to be at the dining hall by eight O'clock, then after that, we all retire to bed to wake up by four AM.

While everyone were at the dining waiting for the food to be brought so they'll all fight for it just like they always do except from the day Commander P. was there, I suddenly remembered that I was meant to drop off everyone's training attire at the laundry so that those on punishment could wash them after diner, as I  was newly for the work. I ran off immediately to pick them up before someone reminds me to do so.

While on my way to the laundry already with a big basket full of clothes, I saw a group of people, I wasn't close enough to see their faces as it was dark, beating someone. I could hear the sound of the punches form where I was but there was no much noise than that. Obviously, they covered his mouth to avoid noise that would draw attention foolishly forgetting that the sound of the beating could also draw attention.

My plan was to leave to my duty immediately, but on a second thought I decided to get closer, to see who it was. I tip toed to a wall close to them and when peeped, I discovered that it was Jonathan, the one who always criticized me here.

"So a bully can actually be bullied." I asked my self still in shock of my realization.

The moment I saw it was him, I sigh and turned to leave, but I couldn't. My heart began to judge me again and when I could hold it much longer, I mimicked our commander's voice because I knew that if I mistakenly goes there, I'll would definitely join Jonathan in hell.

"Hey! What are you all doing over there. Don't tell me you don't know what's on the timetable." I said smiling at them as they ran as fast as their feet could carry them leaving Jonathan who fell on the floor trying to catch some breath.

Mimicking of voices was something I was good at. I was mimicked my dad's voice on phone asking my mom to give me back my headset which she had seized from me and it actually worked.

Unfortunately, the truth was unveiled the day I was to be given a new phone as my birthday gift while mom and dad were discussing.

I never received the phone, again as there wasn't even a birthday gift for me that year.

Staring back at Jonathan, I knew he needed some help so, I left what I was meant to do and helped him to dress his wound and led him to his bed as he was too weak to stand.

By the time I was done, it was already past supper time and I was late to submit the training outfit for washing.

I was later made to wash the outfits by myself after the boys reported me to the commander for being late.

Jonathan saw my action as a great sacrifice and ever since then, we were always there for each other at the T-base.

Anna was totally shocked when I told her that Jonathan was my friend as she knew of out history back then in school.

The days I was free, I mostly use it to discus with Anna and Jonathan of our escape plan as the suffering was becoming too unbearable.

Lunch was already an old story as we no longer took lunch, just breakfast and supper, which would even be rejected if given to a dog.

Nevertheless, we were still made to do all the work and we were flogged on little mistakes. Our trainings were also hardened day by day as though we were in the military.

During one of our discussions, I told them that there was no way we'll figure out a plan when we didn't even know where we were but  Jonathan objected. He said he just recently discovered our location.

"Look, you see this place," He said, pointing at a very old map he was with. "That's where we are."

"An island?" Anna said with a shocked expression.

"I the middle of oceans." I added as though her comments weren't good enough.

" Yes." Jonathan said nodding his head and looking around to see if anyone was close enough to hear him. When he was convinced that none was, he continued.

"I overhead a drunk guard telling a fellow about it. He showed him the map and you know, I kind of stole it from him."

I knew he did. He was good at unveiling new skill one never knew he had. If you complain, he'll tell you that you never asked. 

"I want to know how people are brought here and those behind it before even thinking of leaving." I said and everyone nodded their heads in affirmation.

"So what's the plan?"  Anna asked.

"I don't know, Ann. Maybe we'll think of something later but for now, I need to go have my diner. I'm starving." Jonathan said and we all knew that it we needed to eat because if you don't get there on time, hungry souls, will surely devour your food and you can't hold anyone responsible.

Entering the dining hall, I discovered that that Commander P. wasn't there.

"Looks like tonight would go down as usual." Commented Jonathan who was walking by my side.

"Yeah. I guess so."

Everywhere was noisy immediately after the food was dropped on the table and people rushed to take their share. 

I was about to move forward when I noticed that a young boy was just sitting down by himself, sobbing. 

It was probably because he knew that if he gets there, they would suffocate him to death before he even gets the chance of taking some food.

I went over and saw Jonathan already with our food and I took some out of it and gave to the boy who collected and swallowed it all immediately.

"Thank you." He said after he must had regained himself.

"You're welcome. Don't worry we'll get through this, I promise you."

Just as I finished speaking. I heard some people shouting. I looked over and discovered that it was a fight and someone was bleeding already.

Well, that was life at the T-base, life of the  jungle.

It was survival of the fittest.