-28-

"You're sure Dais." She nodded unbuckling her seatbelt and sliding from the car, "See you in an hour Cashy." She bid her farewell as she exhaled shakily. Going through a few security measures was nothing compared to tense in her limbs once she spotted him.

Slowly making her way to sit across from her father she intertwined her fingers. It had only been a few weeks but her father looked as if he'd aged a decade.

"Daisy I'm so glad you're here." Silence filled the pair again as he cleared his throat waiting for her to respond.

"Can't say it's mutual." She eventually sighed sitting back on her palms, "I contemplated walking back out but thought I'd give you a chance to justify your actions. hmm?" She narrowed her brows.

"Thank you Daisy I'm glad. After your mother I- I lost sight and I took it out-" Daisy winced at the poor form of an excuse, in the process her face scrunching in disgust, "Daisy I don't want you to-"

"To treat you as you are. A horrible father?" She exhaled sharply clutching her hands into fists tightly, "Or what, an abusive piece of shit." Behind bars he couldn't hurt her, she could speak freely.

He chuckled at the word choice, causing another uncomfortable flinch in Daisy's face, "I've been doing lots of thinking since coming here." He sighed, bracing his elbows on the table.

"Since you came here? As if it was by will. Fuck dad sounds like a holiday." She spat, "Your word choice is ridiculous." Another dry laugh left her lips.

"You're so smart Daisy. Always have been. Half the time I don't know what you're saying. Big words, your mother liked words too." Her cheeks flushed before paling. Her mother wasn't someone she liked to remember. She was wonderful than she died. It was painful.

"Get on with it." She held hardly any love for her father and wanted to get out of there as soon as possible, "Time's ticking Dad." She ran her tongue over her teeth, almost in boredom.

"Please let me finish Daisy. I know you don't owe me anything but I have to say this." He admitted and she nodded as if to say, 'continue.'

"Being sober has made me realise what i've done. What I did. I'm a cruel and spiteful man I know. Your mother would hate me. Would've divorced me the second I laid a hand on you. I shouldn't have and it is not an excuse but I'm sorry." He finished breathlessly.

She'd thought a lot of this moment. Thought of before Daisy's mum had died, when they were happy. Before he started drinking when Daisy's mum used to matter to him. An apology meant nothing she knew it didn't. It didn't matter if he meant it. Nothing could take back the damage he had caused for years since. Some days she wished she could go back to those days. When her mum could protect her.

After running her mind over a million different answers, she spoke a simple "Okay." She unclasped her fingers and rested them on the table opposite him.

"Okay?" He mumbled in disbelief, his eyes widened a fraction.

"Okay..." She repeated, "I don't forgive you." She slid from her seat brushing her hands as if she had taken out the trash, "I hope you get everything you want from the next 20 years Dad. Maybe you'll be able to meet your grandchildren one day. But it'll be at least a decade, hopefully you're still kicking by then." With a smile she turned walking to the door.

"Daisy. Stop! It can't end- you need to-" She had left before she could hear the rest of his drowned out yells. "Goodbye Daniel." She mumbled under her breath, a small smile on her lips as her feet met the footpath.

She had texted Cash not to worry about picking her up, half an hour ago. She wanted to walk the short distance across the town. Organise her thoughts as such. She felt good, better than she had in months.

Nearing the house she noticed Cash walking in with a bag of groceries. He struggled to open the door before disappearing into the house. Daisy already suspicious knew she did the food shopping for the trio, Cash buying food was odd.

"I'm home." Her voice rung out as the fly screen behind her shut with a click. When she entered the living room Nan offered her a bright smile slumped into an armchair. Cash had busied himself with the bag slung over his shoulder filling the contents of their cupboards.

"Daisy dear, how'd you go?" Nan asked over the loud volume of the tv. Daisy moved into the kitchen watching Cash stack more beans in the pantry.

"Good.. uh Doug what are you doing?" She stopped him with a soft grip on his free arm. He paused completely turning to meet her, "Daisy! How'd it go?!" He exclaimed to draw attention away from his excessive shopping.

"Why so much food Doug?" She released his arm leaning back on the opposite counter, "Planning on leaving?" Her laugh was high-pitched, a rather awkward, frightened laugh.

"Just in case Daisy, we don't know if Amerie will." He trailed off quietly, finishing the last of the unpacking dropping the bag to the floor.

"She won't say anything. I'll make sure Doug, and Harper wouldn't say something that would harm you- i'm sure- she wouldn't." She convinced herself, nodding a few times.

"Yeah.. it'll be fine Daisy, all good." He offered her a non-convincing smile squeezing her arm as he passed dropping into the arm chair beside Nan, "All good Nan." He nodded to the older woman as well, both Daisy and Nan eyeing each other wearily.