CHAPTER 8

THE TRUE BEGINNING - PART 1

OCTOBER 2018

As the alarm pierced through the veil of sleep, you groggily reached out to silence it.

"I don't want to wake up." You complained, still half asleep.

Rubbing the last traces of dreams from your eyes, you eventually swung your legs over the edge of the bed, feeling the cool floor against your feet. Another day, another morning ritual.

Your room was cast in a soft glow of dawn as you shuffled towards the closet, picking out your uniform.

The familiar routine began: choosing clothes, a quick shower, teeth brushed, and hair brushed into the style you preferred. You slung your backpack over your shoulder and head downstairs.

As you stepped down, you caught sight of the calander your mother had pinned to the wall.

"October 31st." You mumbled.

The aroma of freshly brewed coffee mingled with the scent of pancakes as it wafted from the kitchen, drawing you closer and taking your mind off the fact that it was the day of Halloween.

Entering the cozy space, you found your mother humming a tune while flipping pancakes on the stove. She turned, a warm smile gracing her face as she saw you.

"Good morning, sleepyhead! Ready for another day of school?" she asked, placing a plate piled with golden pancakes on the table.

"Why does school have to be so early?" you reply with a pout, the fatigue slowly dissipating in the presence of her infectious energy.

"Eat your breakfast, dear and gain some energy for school." She said and you smiled in her direction.

You wouldn't be as happy as you were now without your mother.

"Oh, right! Today is the halloween parade over in Shibuya." You recalled, your eyes lighting up with excitment.

"Are you going with your friends?" She asked as she ate her own breakfast.

"Akari said she wanted to go with me and dress up in..." You told your mother the idea you and your friend shared and she nodded, approving of what you wanted to wear.

"That's fine, but remember to not be out too late." She reminded.

"Don't worry. We'll be back home around seven or eight o' clock." You told and she smiled.

School had gone by slower than you wanted but with all the excitment for the parade, time was obviously going to act as your enemy.

"Are you ready?"

You placed your phone on your desk, putting the speaker on so you could hear Akari while you put the finishing touches to your costume.

"Yeah. I'll meet up with you at Shibuya station." You told her and she agreed with your plan, soon ending the call.

You walked out your room, putting your phone in the jacket you wore and stepped down the stairs. You saw your mother waiting by the stairs and gave a greeting as you approached her.

"Phone me when you're on your way back home. Alright?" She reminded and you gave her a hug, telling her you would do so.

"Bye mom!"

You waved in her direction and your mother smiled back before closing the door.

---------------------------------------------------

TIME - 5:45PM

"[F/N]!"

You looked through the crowd of people and saw where Akari was standing, not far from you before you waved at her with a bright smile painting your lips.