CHAPTER 10

THE TRUE BEGINNING - PART 3

"[F/N], wake up!"

Your consciousness flickered back into a haze of existence, a gasp tearing through your parched throat as your eyelids wrench open. A pair of hands, firm and urgent, clasped onto your trembling arms, grounding you in place.

"Calm down, you've had a nightmare."

You turned your head to see it was your mother and immediately, tears escape your eyes.

"Mom." You sobbed out.

Assuming you were upset due to the nightmare you had, she brought you closer into a hug.

"It's alright." She whispered, rubbing your back.

It took a while for you to calm down but soon, you were resting back in your bed with your mother seated beside you.

"Do you want to take the day off from school? " Your mother asked and you nodded, choosing to go along with the option she gave so you could get some time to yourself.

Now alone in the empty room, the silence offered you a brief comfort from the whirlwind of emotions you felt.

"What the hell is going on?" You whispered the question, your eyes travelling around your room as if to check if this was some sort of illusion.

Questions swirled in your mind, each thought acting as if it was a whirlpool threatening to pull you under.

Was it real?

The intense heat, the blinding blaze, the searing pain—it all felt alarmingly vivid. Yet here you were, nestled in the familiar comfort of your own bed, as if the fiery ordeal was nothing more than a figment of your imagination.

Your eyes settled onto your phone as the screen lit up, indicating you got a notification.

You instinctively grabbed it and planned to put your password in but you paused in action as you took note of a small detail on your lock screen.

03 DECEMBER 2016

Your gaze remained fixed on the device's screen, the numbers displaying a date almost two years before the present.

Just as you tried to make sense of it, your phone rang, startling you.

"Oh shit-" Your hands jerked, almost dropping the device in surprise.

"[F/N]?"

Glancing at your phone, you saw Akari's name on the screen. It hit you hard, and tears welled up instantly. Trying to stifle your sobs, you covered your mouth to keep quiet.

"Hello? Can you hear me?" When Akari's voice crackled through the phone, you couldn't respond.

Overwhelmed by your emotions, you ended the call and placed the phone down on the desk.

You needed a moment to get it all out so, you pulled the blanket around you, seeking solace within its embrace and while underneath, tears slid down your face.

---------------------------------------------------

It wasn't until the afternoon when you came out of hibernation and went downstairs. You were also hungry so you really had no choice but to leave your room.

"We're not sending her to that school."

You paused in your footsteps down the stairs and turned your head to hear your parents conversation better.

"This is our chance to bring back the name of our clan and you want to throw it away!" Your father seemed frustrated by what your mother was implying.

"Keep your voice down. [F/N] will hear you." She chided.