CHAPTER 18

THE SHIBUYA INCIDENT PART 6

It was at that moment when Haruta realised...

He fucked up.

He was ordered by Sukuna to stay put and not cause any trouble and he could only helplessly watch as the battle before him was about to begin.

'I only have one life left.' He thought bitterly.

If only he hadn't provoked the black-haired sorcerer, he'd be freely executing the killing spree assigned to him by his superior, relishing in the chaos and destruction.

"What the heck is that?" You pondered aloud, your eyes holding confusion as you observed the intense clash between Sukuna and the enigmatic white figure.

Your sudden interjection startled Haruta, causing him to jump in fright. He spun around, wide-eyed, to face you, clearly caught off guard by your unexpected appearance.

"You? When did you get here?" he stammered, his voice tinged with a mixture of surprise and anxiety.

You shifted your gaze onto Haruta, raising a skeptical brow as he visibly flinched under the weight of your hard stare.

"I just got here," you pointed out with a flat look.

'I didn't even sense her!' Haruta's thoughts raced, his body trembling ever so slightly as he struggled to compose himself in your presence.

Crouching down in front of Megumi, you carefully examined his condition, your concern evident in the furrow of your brow.

"What happened to him?" you inquired, turning your attention back to Haruta, who froze in his spot, his expression fraught with unease.

"Uh, well... he was stabbed by..." Haruta trailed off, unable to bring himself to admit his own involvement.

"You?" you pressed, your voice taking on a steely edge as you locked eyes with him.

Haruta felt his soul leave his body as you reached out and grabbed a fistful of his clothes, coercing him to move closer to you, his heart pounding in his chest at the realization of the predicament he found himself in.

"You already did the job of taking him out, so why are you still here? Especially with that lunatic going crazy," you questioned, gesturing towards Sukuna's frenzied battle behind you.

"That sorcerer put me in some bind and called out that monster to kill me! B-But, if I die then he dies too," Haruta explained hastily, his words tumbling out in a panicked rush as he recounted what he had overheard Sukuna mumbling to himself earlier. Your eyebrows shot up in surprise at the revelation.

"And... Sukuna is trying to prevent that?" you concluded, your tone laced with confusion as you tried to make sense of the situation.

Haruta nodded frantically, his eyes wide with fear, as you hummed thoughtfully, falling into your own contemplative silence.

'There's no way Sukuna would be trying to save this guy...so...Megumi?' you mused silently, your mind racing with possibilities as you considered the implications of Sukuna's unexpected actions.

As you observed the ongoing battle, you realized that the monster was, in fact, a Shikigami, its formidable presence evident in the way it held its own against Sukuna. It dawned on you that this Shikigami was likely the strongest among the ones Megumi could summon.

'Why did he summon it for such a weakling?' You pondered silently, your gaze briefly flickering to Megumi before settling into a flat, scrutinizing stare.