One in a million

"What are you doing?" Meredith asked Cristina. All of the interns were gathered in a meeting room and Cristina was working on a banana with a needle and thread.

"I'm suturing a banana, with the vain hope that it wakes up my brain," Cristina said. George snorted. "What are you smiling at, 007?" she snapped. George stopped laughing and Cristina sighed. "I'm sorry, I get mean when I'm tired," she said. 

"You know what? I don't care. I comforted a family, and I got to hang out in the OR today. All is well," George said.

"Does anybody know why we're here?" Cristina said. 

"I reckon could just be part of a groundbreaking experiment on the effects of sleep deprivation," Emma replied, her tone laced with sarcasm. "Other than that no clue," she said. The door opened and Derek Shepard walked in followed by Arizona Robbins. Erin looked at Derek and then Arizona who smiled at her causing Emma to blush slightly which made Meredith smirk. 

"ummm who is that?" Meredith whispered. Emma elbowed her and hissed "Not now,"

"Well, good morning, we're going to do something pretty rare for a surgeon, I'm going to ask interns for help. I've got this kid, Katie Bryce. Right now, she's a mystery. She doesn't respond to her meds. Labs are clean, and scans are pure, but she's having seizures. Grand mal seizures with no visible cause. She's a ticking clock. She's going to die if we don't make a diagnosis. Which is where you come in. We can't do it alone. I need your extra minds, extra eyes, I need you to play detective, I need you to find out why Katie is having seizures. I know you're tired, you're busy, you've got more work than you could possibly handle. I understand. So, I'm going to give you an incentive. Whoever finds the answer rides with Robbins and me. Katie needs surgery. You get to do what no interns get to do. Scrub in to assist with the advanced procedure. Dr Bailey's going to hand you Katie's chart. The clock is ticking fast, people. If we're going to save Katie's life, we have to do it soon," he said.

Everyone scrambled to grab the files on the table and Emma flicked through it looking up to make eye contact with Robbins every now and then. Cristina came up next to you and whispered in your ear. "I heard you're a genius," Cristina said. 

"Oh, Cristina, you flatter me. I'm just a humble genius-in-training, ready to dazzle the medical world with my exceptional detective skills," Emma replied with a playful twinkle in her eye.

"shut up whatever you're still smart plus you've been on her case since the start with Meredith. You wanna work together? Fifty-fifty chance for the surgery then," Cristin said.

Emma smirked at Cristina's proposal, her playful banter in full swing. "Oh, Cristina, tempting as it is to bask in the glory of your brilliance, I think I'll go solo on this one. After all, I wouldn't want you feeling too overshadowed by my genius, would I?" Emma replied, the competitive spark gleaming in her eyes. Cristina huffed and moved away to pursue her own investigative efforts

"I don't want in on the surgery by the way I can help you but you can have it, I don't want to have to spend any more time with Dr Shepard than I have to," Meredith said. 

Erin hummed "Yeah I'm not a big fan of him either his ego's a bit too big."

---

In the hushed ambience of the hospital library, Emma busied herself with medical texts, diligently jotting down notes for the ongoing case. Meredith, ever the curious companion, couldn't resist delving into the mysteries of Emma's personal life.

"So, spill the beans, Emma. What's the deal with you and Robbins? Is there some romantic saga unfolding behind the scenes?" Meredith prodded, her eyes sparkling with mischief.