Aftershock

Emma's eyes fluttered open, blinking a few times as harsh fluorescent light assaulted her vision. Disoriented, she tried to move her head, but a dull ache pulsed in her temples, urging her to stay still. A muffled groan escaped her lips, the sound rough and unfamiliar.

She was lying in a bed, the crisp white sheets unfamiliar and cool against her skin. The scent of antiseptic and a faint floral note, maybe lavender, filled her nostrils. Her body felt heavy, achy, as if she'd been wrestling a particularly stubborn patient all night.

Then, a warmth pressed against her side, a comforting weight that grounded her. She turned her head slowly, her gaze falling on Arizona's sleeping form curled beside her. Arizona's brow was furrowed slightly, a hint of worry etched onto her usually carefree features. One of Arizona's arms was draped loosely across Emma's waist, her fingers brushed against the small of Emma's back, sending a jolt of unexpected warmth through her.

Memories of the previous day flooded back - the suffocating panic, the escape into the supply closet, the terrifying isolation. But then, Arizona. Her voice, a lifeline through the storm. The gentle touch, the unwavering support. A wave of gratitude washed over Emma, a silent thank you for being the anchor that had kept her from being swept away.

A soft sigh escaped Arizona's lips, stirring her from sleep. Her eyes fluttered open, meeting Emma's gaze with a mixture of concern and relief. A slow smile spread across Arizona's face, chasing away the worry lines.

"Hey you," Arizona whispered, her voice husky with sleep. "How are you feeling?"

Emma's lips curved into a weak smile. "Like I got hit by a bus," she admitted, her voice raspy. "But... alive."

Arizona chuckled softly, the sound warm and genuine. "That pretty much sums it up. You gave yourself quite a scare yesterday."

Emma winced slightly at the reminder, the memory of the panic attack still fresh. "I know," she mumbled, squeezing her eyes shut for a moment. "I'm so sorry."

Arizona's brow furrowed in confusion. "Sorry? Why are you apologizing?"

Emma opened her eyes again, meeting Arizona's gaze. "For everything," she confessed, her voice barely a whisper. "For breaking down, for needing you to save me again..."

Arizona reached out, gently tucking a stray strand of hair behind Emma's ear. "Hey," she said softly, her voice filled with understanding. "There's nothing to apologize for. You're not weak for needing help. In fact, it takes a lot of strength to admit you're struggling."

Emma's gaze softened, a flicker of vulnerability in her eyes. "It just feels like... I keep falling apart," she admitted, her voice thick with emotion.

Arizona squeezed Emma's hand gently. "And I'll be there to pick you up every time," she promised, her voice unwavering. "That's what we do for each other, remember?"

Emma managed a small smile. "Yeah," she whispered, a sense of relief washing over her. "We do."

A comfortable silence settled between them for a moment, the only sound the rhythmic beeping of a nearby heart monitor. Arizona shifted closer, her arm tightening around Emma's waist.

"You should try to get some more sleep," Arizona murmured. "You need your rest."

Emma snuggled closer to Arizona's warmth, the tension slowly ebbing away from her muscles. "Can you stay with me?" she asked, her voice barely above a whisper.

Arizona smiled, her eyes crinkling at the corners. "Always," she replied, tucking a kiss behind Emma's ear.

Emma drifted off to sleep once more, the weight of Arizona's presence a comforting anchor, a silent promise that she wouldn't have to face this alone.