The race of hearts

"Emma, your sister is intolerable!" Izzie exclaimed, bursting through her bedroom door. Emma was seated on her bed, cocooned in a blanket, engrossed in watching Friends with a tub of ice cream in hand.

"Hmm, yeah, we get that a lot," Emma replied, looking up from her computer briefly, a spoon still in her mouth.

"Yeah, well, George's room is much bigger than mine, and he has a larger closet. It doesn't make any sense, considering I've got more clothes," Izzie complained, gesturing emphatically. Emma turned off her computer and stood up, heading to the freezer. Izzie followed her out.

"Why don't you just ask to swap with him?" Emma suggested, shrugging her shoulders.

"I got here first!" George declared, protectively covering the door to his room.

"Emma gets to decide; it's her and Meredith's house, and Meredith doesn't seem to care," Izzie argued back to George as Emma kept walking past, staying silent.

"My room is only like two inches bigger," George said, following Izzie and Emma as they descended the stairs.

"You have a larger closet," Izzie retorted.

"So... Why is everything a competition?" George scoffed, shaking his head at the ongoing banter.

Emma, Izzie, and George continued their banter about the living arrangements as they made their way downstairs. The ongoing dispute over room sizes and closet spaces seemed to have no end in sight.

"Everywhere else is filled with Meredith and Emma's mom's boxes," Izzie complained, sipping her coffee.

"Emma, when is your mom coming back to town?" George inquired, hoping for a resolution.

Emma, ever nonchalant, just shrugged in response. "Maybe we can put her boxes in storage," George suggested, trying to contribute to a solution.

"Or unpack a few things, make this place more homey," Izzie added, her mind already envisioning decorative improvements.

"Throw pillows, lamps, paintings," she continued, fueling the conversation with ideas.

"Oooh, paintings would be nice," George chimed in, looking around the house as if assessing its potential.

"Yeah, you have all this amazing stuff just packed away. I found a box with like a hundred tapes of your mother performing amazing medical procedures," Izzie revealed, intrigued by the discovery.

"We should watch them. Do you want to-" George began, only to be abruptly cut off as Emma shut the bathroom door in their faces. Running her hands over her face, she opened the door again, snatched Izzie's mug of coffee, and shut the door once more, leaving them in stunned silence.

Meredith, sitting on the toilet, couldn't help but burst into laughter. "Got you too, huh?"

Emma nodded, turned the shower on, and began removing her clothes. "I regret telling you to move in them," she muttered, disappearing into the shower.

The playful banter continued outside the bathroom, with Izzie and George exchanging bemused glances. The chaos and camaraderie of living together were beginning to shape their shared experiences, turning the house into more than just a residence—it was becoming a home filled with laughter, arguments, and unexpected pranks.

As the sound of the running shower filled the air, the promise of untold stories hidden within the boxes and the shared moments between the interns hinted at the growth of their bond. The journey of turning a house into a home had only just begun, and the unexpected surprises along the way were making the experience all the more memorable.