Lily's light

"Whatever, I only want you to speak to me if it regards work," Emma said rolling her eyes. 

As Derek absorbed the weight of Emma's cold dismissal, he felt a wave of frustration and regret wash over him. Her words echoed in his mind, a painful reminder of the depth of her anger and disappointment. He knew he had hurt her deeply, and the thought of losing her respect tore at his heart.

Before Derek could respond, Emma's expression hardened further, her resolve unyielding as she met his gaze with steely determination. "No, I can't even work with you right now," she declared, her voice laced with anger and hurt.

Derek felt a pang of desperation at her words, a sinking feeling settling in the pit of his stomach. He wanted to reach out, to plead with her to give him another chance, but he knew it was futile. He had crossed a line, and now he had to face the consequences.

With a heavy sigh, Derek nodded, accepting Emma's decision with a sense of resignation. "I understand," he murmured, his voice heavy with regret.

Emma watched him silently, her expression unreadable as she held her ground, her emotions in turmoil. Despite the anger burning within her, a part of her couldn't help but feel a twinge of sorrow at the sight of Derek's defeat.

As Derek turned to leave, Emma's resolve wavered, a flicker of doubt creeping into her heart. But the hurt was still too fresh, the betrayal too raw for her to let him off the hook so easily.

Instead, Emma made a decision. With a determined set to her jaw, she turned on her heel and marched away, her steps echoing with purpose as she sought out Bailey to request a change in her service. She couldn't bear the thought of working alongside Derek, not when the pain of his betrayal still cut so deep.

--

Emma stormed through the hospital corridors, her anger fueling each determined step. She found Bailey at the nurses' station, her expression no-nonsense as usual.

"Bailey," Emma began, her voice firm despite the storm raging within her.

Bailey looked up from her paperwork, her brow furrowing at the intensity in Emma's voice. "What do you want?" she asked, her tone brusque as she met Emma's gaze.

"I need to get off Derek's service," Emma blurted out, her frustration evident in her words.

Bailey raised an eyebrow, her expression unreadable as she studied Emma. "And why is that?" she inquired, her voice sharp and probing.

Emma hesitated, the words catching in her throat. She wasn't one to air her personal grievances .Emma hesitated, the words catching in her throat. She couldn't bring herself to reveal the true reason behind her request, the tangled web of emotions too complex to unravel in that moment.

Instead, she opted for a simpler explanation. "It's personal," she replied, her voice firm. "I just can't work with him right now." Emma finally admitted, her voice faltering slightly.

Bailey regarded her with a shrewd gaze, as if seeing right through the facade Emma had constructed. For a moment, Emma feared that Bailey would push for more details, but then something softened in the older woman's expression, her features softening with understanding as she took in Emma's face. 

"Fine," Bailey conceded, her tone gruff but not unkind. "I'll put you on Dr Robbins service."

Emma's heart skipped a beat at the mention of Arizona's name, her pulse quickening with a mix of apprehension and anticipation. Memories of their shared moments, both tender and tumultuous, flooded her mind, stirring up a whirlwind of emotions within her.

"Thank you," she murmured, a wave of relief washing over her as she realised she wouldn't have to endure Derek's presence any longer.The thought of working alongside Arizona, despite the complexities of their past, filled her with a sense of comfort and reassurance.