The Weight of Words

"You're late," Meredith told Cristina as she looked up from tying her shoelaces when Cristina rushed in opening the door.

"So is little grey," Cristina says pointing towards Emma as she rushes inside to join them. 

"Well, so is Mer," Emma adds taking her top off to change into her scrub top. 

"What the hell Emma? You left before me how are you late," Meredith asks her sister confused. 

Emma smirked mischievously as she caught Meredith's confused expression. "Well, you see, I encountered a life-or-death situation at a coffee shop on the way here this morning."

Meredith raised an eyebrow. "Life or death? Really?"

"Yes, a major coffee spill crisis," Emma continued with a deadpan expression. "I couldn't leave the cafè until I had properly mourned the loss of my morning caffeine."

Cristina, who was overhearing the conversation, couldn't help but laugh. "So, your life-or-death situation was about coffee? Classic Grey move."

Emma nodded dramatically. "Exactly. I had to give that coffee spill the attention it deserved. It's a tragedy when a good cup of coffee sacrifices itself for the greater good of the floor."

Meredith chuckled, shaking her head. "You're unbelievable, Emma."

"That's what you love about me, Mer," Emma said with a wink as she finally managed to put on her scrum bottoms on.

"Anyways, I'm late and I can't afford to piss off Bailey any more," Meredith says tying her hair up. "Do you think she told anyone?" 

"About you and McDreamy?" Cristina asks. 

"Huh, what happened?" Emma said spinning around to face Meredith almost slipping over in the process but catching herself on the bench and sitting down pretending that's what she meant to do, Meredith and Cristina rolled their eyes at Emma's clumsiness. 

"Bailey caught me and Derek in the car," Meredith muttered as they all walked out of the locker room. 

The three of them walked down the hallway. As they turned the corner, Emma, unable to contain her shock, blurted out, "BAILEY CAUGHT YOU DOING THE MCDIRTY WITH MCDREAMY IN HIS MCCAR?"

Meredith shot Emma a glare, and Cristina rolled her eyes.  "When did it happen?" Emma whispered this time.

"At the party," Meredith muttered, trying to keep her voice low.

"Why didn't you tell me?" Emma whispered genuine concern etched on her face.

"Because you have bigger things on your mind than me at the moment," Meredith replied, glancing at Emma. Cristina looked over as well, knowing the weight of the situation. Emma nodded in understanding.

"If they find out, what can they...? Can they kick me out, or...?" Meredith stammered as they walked up the stairs.

"No...not officially. Knowing Bailey, she'll probably just be really harsh on you," Emma reassured her.

"You'll just get edged out, blacklisted, banned from his surgeries, passed over for chief resident. It'll be humiliating, but you'll live," Cristina added, not bothering to sugarcoat the potential consequences.

"I have to end it. I definitely have to end it," Meredith said, shaking her head. "I definitely have to end it, right?"

"Meredith shut up," Cristina replied, her tone blunt.

"What?" Meredith asked, looking at her sister in disbelief, confirming if she just heard what Cristina said. Emma simply shrugged.

"Did you seriously just tell me to shut up?" Meredith questioned Cristina.