Chapter 3 ꥟

"What are you doing? You're supposed to be getting ready."

Elijah closed the curtain to his window and turned around. He pointed at the window. "Guards are coming up to the house."

Ethan walked up the curtain. "What?" He pulled it back and looked outside. He looked at Elijah. "What'd you do?"

Elijah shook his head. "I didn't do anything." He held up his hands.

A pounding knock boomed across the house. Ethan glared at Elijah and groaned. "Jesus Christ." He stormed out of the room and went down the flight of steps.

He opened the drawer next to his front door and pulled out a knife. He slid it into his pant pocket. He turned to Elijah. "If I kill these guys because of something you did?"

Elijah scoffed. "Cut the shit."

Ethan turned to the door and opened it.
Elijah followed Ethan down the steps, standing on the stairs as the door opened. Ethan looked between the Two Guards and smiled. "Good Afternoon. How can I help you?"

"Good Evening." One of them replied. He peered past Ethan and at Elijah. Elijah nodded a hello. "We're with the King. We're here to collect a Census."

Ethan stood up more. "Oh alright." He smiled. He walked outside, just cracking the door behind him.

The Other guard stepped forward. "Can your.. friend come out, please? We also need to ask a few questions about Deliverance."

Ethan furrowed his eyebrows slightly. "Deliverance? Like Jesus?" He opened the door and Gestured Elijah to come out. "We've been baptized if that's what you're asking."

"Names?" The First Guard asked, pulling out a sheet.

"Ethan and Elijah Best," Ethan replied, pointing to them as he spoke. "We're brothers."

"Age?"

"We need some information about the Deliverance group. We've heard word they're planning to do something to the new ruler." The Second asked.

"I haven't heard anything about them." Ethan turned to Elijah. "You? We're 23. April, 29th 1451."

Elijah looked at Ethan and shifted nervously. "I heard about them three years or so back, nothing now though."

"What'd you hear?" The Second asked.  "No descriptions?" The Second Guard asked, taking a step closer. He looked at Elijah sizing him up.

Elijah looked away from him and crossed his arms. "No sir. All I heard was that they did some real damage to the Castle. Killed the whole royal family." He replied, softly.

"Sex?"

"Male." Ethan replied.

"Is it just you inside?" The guard asked.

"You're looking nervous. Is something wrong?" The Second guard asked, prying into Elijah.

"John, let it go." The First Guard snapped. "They don't know anything. Lemme finish this up." He pulled the First Guard back. "Sorry."

Ethan shook his head. "No, it's understandable." He tapped Elijah discreetly and took a step down from the porch. "It's tight now. That group must be scary."

"They're lousy." The  Second Guard laughed. "They attack the castle, slaughter everyone but the person they wanted to hit in the fucking first place? They're idiots." He looked at Ethan. "Looneys."

"Is it just you in there?" The First Guard asked, again.

"Yes," Elijah replied, standing by Ethan. "It's just us."