Alessia Russo|Proposals

Y/n PoV

Between Christmas and New Year, that peculiar time known as "crimbo limbo," my partner Less and I, along with her parents, decided to escape to New York for a brief respite before the football season kicked off. Less's schedule was as hectic as ever, making this getaway a welcomed reprieve.

Our relationship had matured over the past four years, but my admiration for Less began long before that. She and my sister, Ella Toone, had been best friends for over a decade, making my childhood crush on her a bit of a taboo subject.

Now, about Ella – she and I were practically twins in spirit, sharing the same humor and personality quirks. The only notable difference was our age gap, with Ella being two years younger. As her older brother, I naturally took on the role of protector, especially when she introduced Joe, her older boyfriend, to our family. Despite initial reservations, Joe won us over, primarily by joining in on our favorite pastime: teasing Ella relentlessly.

Ella and I shared a special bond, perhaps due to our shared profession as professional boxers – she playing for Manchester United while I represented Manchester City. Yes, we were rivals on the field, but it was all in good fun, especially when City claimed victory.

As for Less, our journey to becoming a couple wasn't without its twists and turns. With encouragement from my friend John Stones, I finally mustered the courage to ask her out. Our first date was at a fancy restaurant in Manchester, followed by a charming picnic at St. George's Park. It was after a victorious match that I officially asked her to be my girlfriend.

Fast forward to the present day in New York – I was about to pop the question. Nervous doesn't begin to describe it. I had sought permission from Less's family, arranged the perfect setting at an Italian restaurant, and meticulously planned every detail. Only my sister, Ella, remained unaware of my intentions, lest she inadvertently spoil the surprise.

After a leisurely lunch at a quaint café, we embarked on some sightseeing before returning to the hotel to prepare for the evening. As always, Less took her time selecting the perfect outfit, leaving me patiently waiting until she emerged, radiant in a red dress.

With her necklace secured around her neck, we headed to the restaurant, hand in hand. Upon arrival, Less was visibly moved by the private dining area I had arranged, adorned with her favorite flowers and photos capturing our fondest memories.

"Omg, y/n, this is gorgeous, did you do all of this?" she asked, her eyes wide with wonder.

"Yeah, well, I wanted to celebrate you and us. We don't get to spend much time together, and I just wanted to do something nice for us," I replied, feeling a rush of relief as her face lit up with delight.

"I'm speechless, thank you, love," she said, leaning in to kiss me before turning her attention to the photos. "Omg, look at this photo of me, you, and Ella when we were younger," she exclaimed.

"Gosh, look at how young we are," I chuckled, joining her at the display. "And look at you looking at me like you were in love," she teased, nudging me playfully.

"That's 'cause I was," I admitted with a sheepish grin, earning a soft smile from Less.

"Right, let's sit down and eat. I'm hungry," I suggested, pulling out a chair for her and taking a seat opposite her.

As we began our meal, my phone buzzed in my pocket, interrupting our conversation momentarily.

Stonesy 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿: Oi oi Tooney lad, good luck for tonight, I'm sure Less will say yes!

Stonesy 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 : Haha, that kind of rhymed. Anyway, hope to wake up to an engagement announcement tomorrow, mate.

Tooney 💪🏼: Thanks, mate. Absolutely shitting it.