huit.

I tossed and turned in my empty bed, falling asleep for only short increments of time. I had everything on my mind. the cafe, new years eve was tomorrow, the man that i ran into, and especially johnnie.

the sun hadn't risen yet. I checked my phone, it was only 6:08 am. I had a couple missed texts.

mom: miss you bunches! 😘

me: miss you too.

I rolled my eyes and clicked on the next message.

johnnie: are you up?

me: sadly

johnnie: I can't sleep

me: me either, is something keeping you up?

johnnie: yeah but it's not a big deal

johnnie: you?

me: me too.

johnnie: I kinda wanna drive around, wanna come with

me: obv

johnnie: pick you up in 10?

me: yess

me: you don't have your license though

johnnie: oh yeah I forgot

me: okay lol I'll come pick YOU up

johnnie: sounds good

I put my slides on. my mind was a screaming mess thinking about johnnie. what's he going to think of my messy hair? is it okay for me to just wear pajamas? whatever. I grabbed my keys and walked out the door.

my heart began to race faster as I approached Johnnie and Jake's house. Johnnie was waiting outside for me on his phone. We made eye contact as he flashed me a tired smile.

"morning, sleepy head." I called from the window.

he flapped his hand at me. "Hey, y/n." I looked up at the sky, it was a dark shade of blue and you could see it progressively getting lighter. "you okay?"

"yeah, the sky is just pretty."

he hesitated. "uh, yeah. you wanna go find somewhere to watch the sunset together? I mean, we don't have to, but, whatever. weird." he rambled.

I rolled my eyes. "you're fine, Johnnie." I patted his arm before he threw his seat belt on. "I'm so down."

"uh, there's this really good spot, like, right up the street." he mentioned.

"tell me where to go." he did as I said and told me the directions to the area. it was a hiking spot with a big parking lot. at the edge of one side of the parking lot was trails, and the other was a fenced off ledge. I parked as close as I could to the ledge.

me and johnnie sat comfortably on the roof of the car. It was completely silent, almost awkward. I hurried, racking my brain for something, anything I can say.

"do you believe in fate?" was the first thing I thought of.

"more or less. what about you?"

"not really, but something changed that." I glanced at him. he was staring at me like he could feel the secrets seeping out of my pores.

"me too."

-

a few hours later, around noon, I was sitting on the couch watching breaking bad and texting Jake.

jake: how's it going with johnnie poo?

me: what do you mean bro

jake: you're soooooooo obvious abt the fact that you like him!!!!

me: I don't even

me: what

me: I hate you

jake: so much denial even though he LIKES YOU TOO ejsus y/n grow a pair

me: wtvvv jakkeeee and even if I did like him there's no way he'd actually date me

jake: stfu I have never seen him so star struck in my lifeeee

me: okay well we've only known eachother for like a week now sooo I doubt that

jake: SHUT UP AND ACCEPT FATE

me: FINE TWINK

jake: FINE SLUT