Act Eight: Friendship

"So... What are you doing right now?"

Two swords clanged together before the Prince lowered his blade and offered a bright grin,
"You do not know? Agni is helping me practice."
"My prince requested self-defense lessons," Agni added on as he withdrew his blade, "I will always be his shield and sword, but one should know the basics."

A prince learning self-defense? That was the most curious thing I'd heard in a while. Just by birth, he would be surrounded by servants and guards, he never had to lift a finger for anything. Why give up that luxury to work out and practice swords anyway?
I couldn't get it, I certainly wouldn't do it if it were me.
Soma wiped some beads of sweat from his head before stepping back, getting into position again,
"You know, miss, I did not expect to see you again. It was quite a surprise in the street, who knew you were acquainted with Phantomhive as well? Would you like to practice with me?"
"No thanks,"
I was going through a lot of firsts lately, but I was a proper lady, I would not hold a weapon.
The men began another round, the swords making a sharp connection. It was obvious Soma didn't know what he was doing, but his servant was holding back, almost letting himself be defeated if the Prince made the right moves.
What was it with men and their blades? The Undertaker had his scythe too, was it just a guy thing?
Jeez... I kept thinking back to him. I would be a fool not to notice my feelings the moment they appeared, but to keep intruding my thoughts like this...
Damn it, I needed a distraction.
I finally pulled myself off the sofa, wiping non-existent dust from my dress,
"You know what, I think I change my mind, deal me in."
Forget being a lady.

Immediately, Agni took a step back from his master and spun the sword around to offer it my way.
I took the blade, and suddenly, I felt something strange in my chest. A tight, angry feeling. Oh, how much I wished this was against Nicholas instead.
I had never held a weapon before this, but it instantly gave me a sense of power and control.
No... I was among friends, this was a time when I needed to restrain my anger. Soma didn't do anything to me, I had no interest in hurting him, even if it was on accident.
Inhale... And exhale...
My hand tightened around the grip, my knuckle pressing against the cross-guard to make room for my other hand to find the right position. Was this how they had been holding it?
"Relax," Agni suddenly chimed in with instructions, "You're tense. You need to be loose if you expect to move fluidly in a duel."
Of course... I didn't need to be told the obvious.
I moved to stand up straight and relax my grip instead, meeting the prince's gold eyes, watching me with content patience. This guy... How could he be so calm and happy all the time, even right before a duel?
"Why did you want to learn this?" I brought myself to ask, seemingly catching Soma off guard,
"Hm? Is it not obvious? I do not want everyone to do everything for me all the time. If I could not even learn basic self-defense, what sort of Prince would I be?" He ended with a light chuckle, "Sebastian says stuff like that all the time. But it is true. I want people to rely on me too, and I want to take care of myself if I need to."
"My Prince is so mature and strong!" His servant clapped his hands with a bright grin.

Interesting concept. A boy born in luxury willingly wanting people to rely on him.
Was that something I wanted too?
Up until now, I only ever had people helping me, what did I want? Honestly, I had no idea.
If I could have it my way...

Memories flashed across my eyes, making my heart skip. The memory of seeing his face, watching him work, of giving me a pair of shoes, I...
Damn it, I wanted to tell him, I wanted to be someone he could rely on too!

Soma stepped into position when he noticed I was ready and gave a short nod to Agni, who returned it and looked between the both of us,
"Remember this is just a duel."