Act Nineteen: Future

"He's not giving us anything, I'm afraid. We have all the evidence provided by the Phantomhive household though. Some witnesses also confirm unlawful imprisonment of Lady (Y/N)."
"Let him deny it then, we have what we need for an official arrest. As brazen as that brat is, he wants him locked up as much as we do to hand over such extensive evidence."
"It's not so simple, Arthur, sir. He's a noble. Not as prestigious as the Earl, but a noble nevertheless. We have to be very careful how we go about this."
"I see... Damn it, he slaughtered women and we can't even rough him up, Keep the interrogations going then. Daddy's money isn't going to impede this investigation, you got it?"
"Understood, we'll do everything in our power to get him talking."

"What... Is this place?"
I could barely comprehend the amount of stock I was seeing. This was The Undertaker's favorite place? A large warehouse stocked to the brim with wooden caskets, and a smell of dampness in the air.
I'd say I was surprised, but this felt just like him to enjoy.
Of course he built his own coffins, there was always a stock at the shop, but I never thought about where they were created until now. Wood chippings littered the floor, along with tools and materials across a large table at the far end of the room,
"Do you like it?" The reaper walked ahead with his head held proud, "London won't ever run out of coffins, they're so much fun to make~"
"They're..." I looked around once more. They weren't filled, right? No, of course not, I shouldn't get nervous, death was natural. These things were needed. "They're certainly something. There are so many, yet I never see you working on them. How long have you been at this?"

The Undertaker paused to consider, not looking back to face me when he finally replied,
"Oh, a good while~ Since I left the association. There's someone I want to get fitted for a coffin if only he'd let me. But for you..."
The Undertaker swiftly turned back to meet my eyes, the green glow of his irises glistening through his silver locks,
"It would be unfortunate if I had to build one for you already. Don't go dying on me!"
As if; now that I was back with him, I didn't even want to get a scratch. The hope in my heart reignited to a new level, I wanted to live.

I stepped deeper into the warehouse and took a deep breath. The scent of wood hung heavy, nearly reminding me of the forest.
A long time ago I might have been afraid to see so many coffins, but I'd faced death. My core still trembled at the memory. It would be some time before I would shake the haunting feelings weighing me down, but at least I didn't need to handle them alone.
The mortician suddenly jumped as he remembered something and reached a slender hand into his sleeve,
"Ah, that's right. I should give this back to you."
Did he have something of mine? I didn't have a chance to think about what The Undertaker might've grabbed before I caught sight of the flash of pink and he offered the pink bookmark. Wait, but...
I looked to the bookmark, then back to the reaper's smiling face,
"But that's not truly mine. You declared it yourself, it belongs to the Grim Reapers and it's infused with-"
He suddenly cut me off with a hand over my mouth, silencing me abruptly.
How annoying it was to feel my heart skip with just a small touch, it wasn't fair, but foolish me wanted to melt anyway. Damn him, but in a courteous way.
"It was given to you, my canary~ It's a powerful tool indeed, but I think it's meant for your hands," The Undertaker hushed a soft voice, "Consider it a gift, why don't you?"

How could someone's words sound so serious but their tone be so playful? It was like he was teasing me with something I didn't know. Still, an item infused with the power of death deities was intriguing, and if I ever ran into Grelle again, it should probably be returned.
How annoying, how could I refuse?
I reached out to accept it, but the reaper didn't release it right away. Instead. when my fingers took hold, he smiled wider with his sharp teeth on full display.
Without warning, The Undertaker's other hand slipped around my body and he stepped closer.
My breath was entirely seized when he bumped his forehead against mine. I could feel his quiet exhale, and the man's long hair fell between us like a ghostly cloak.
"Are you trying to mess with me?" I was sure my voice cracked when I spoke, but it was quickly the last thing on my mind. His presence was so strong and... Warm. My grip on the bookmark tightened, but I couldn't find the will to move away, even with my growing shyness.
"Maybe~" It seemed as though he was getting closer for a kiss, but at the last moment, he moved away and released the item. What the hell?!

What sort of move was that? A week of solitude and I couldn't even get a kiss right now?
The Undertaker fixed his crooked hat with a playful hum before looking back once again. He was lucky I had some patience these days, if it was a year ago, I would've been quite vocal about that displeasure.
"Aw, don't look at me like that, you'll break my heart~" He giggled, hardly sounding broken-hearted in the slightest.
Whatever, I didn't want one anyway... I lied to myself. Except I had no intention of asking for a kiss, although I held a mild curiosity about what that was about.
The bookmark slipped back into my pocket before I eventually sighed,
"Well I suspect we should return to the shop for opening, it's nearly noon, isn't that overdue?"
"Hmm~" The man considered as he tapped his chin in thought, "No fun at all, but I suppose so. It's about time you get something to eat, when was your last full meal?"

That was... A good question. I'd been so distracted by everything recently that I didn't feel hungry. Or at least not as hungry as I should have been. I was stubbornly not eating while being locked up, and the day I was finally saved, I collapsed into a deep sleep after the adrenaline wore off.
I didn't even have breakfast, did I?
Gosh, I simply had to take care of myself now that I was free once again.
The Undertaker wasted no time leading the way back to the shop once I sheepishly admitted as such.
While he may have only had one thing to snack on, the bone treats weren't terrible.
Filling at the very least, and a simple snack to ease my stomach after the fasting. I wasn't sure I could just jump back into a full-course meal so soon anyway.
It was surreal to be back, I couldn't escape the memories. Was it safe to relax and let my guard down?
He was... Arrested, right? It should've been fine.

I only managed to get down a few of the cookies before my bothersome thoughts took over any hope for an appetite. My attention shifted to the mortician sitting at the counter, scribbling away in the record books. This felt familiar, when's the last time I saw that again?
"What are you composing this time?"
I set the half-eaten cookie down as I questioned, but he didn't give an answer.
Ignoring, or just focused?
After a wink, I cleared my throat and moved around the counter to stand at his side. The Undertaker's long hair flowed down as he moved ever so lightly with each new line, making for quite a beautiful sight. Before I could get a proper look at his writing, the book suddenly shut.
The movement was so abrupt I nearly jolted.
There's no way something wasn't wrong, what sort of reaction was that? If it were private, he could've simply said something! Did I do something to piss him off? I'd never actually seen The Undertaker genuinely angry, have I?
In all the time I spent with him, he had a way of brushing everything off without seeming too overly bothered. I only just returned the day before, so even if I tried to wrap my mind around it, I couldn't think of a thing I had done.
"(Y/N)~" His cool voice suddenly coaxed, "Why don't you retire for now? You must be tired."

Tired? The sun was still high and I only did a bit of walking! I could only scoff in what could merely be described as disbelief. He perked up a bit hearing my refusal, but I was sure to be the first one to speak,
"Are you trying to send me away? No way, I spent way too long wishing to come back. Is something of concern?"
"No, no, not at all." He waved a hand dismissively as he set the pencil down, "Just worried about you. It's hardly been a day, humans need their rest and you've hardly had a bite to eat. Can't I fret for my little intern?"

Please, I was smarter than that, The Undertaker wasn't even looking at me, and he appeared all tense.
Rather than responding, I advanced carefully. When my hand fell upon his shoulder, I exhaled in what could only be relief that I actually could. It was as though a part of me didn't fully believe I was here yet. I had plenty of time to come to terms with his reaper status, but even still, touching him so carefully in this way was surreal. I'd kissed him already, I'd been in his arms, at his side, but it didn't change the fact that it was still... Shall I say exciting? Exhilarating?
Dangerous perhaps, but I didn't feel in danger. Not from him.
My fingers brushed across the hair that tumbled down his back, threading through the silky silver locks. Gosh... He was a beautiful man.
I nearly forgot why I was attempting to show comfort momentarily as I found myself getting lost in the action.
Honestly, screw it.
I pulled away only to step around the chair he was in and in one quick fall, dropped into his lap.
The mortician's surprised face immediately turned to one with a wide smile.
"What's this now? Are you being flirtatious? That's a risky game you're playing~"
"Maybe don't ignore me." A sense of irritation began to bubble but I attempted to shake it off as quickly as it appeared. He wasn't the same kind of guy my anger should be directed at. If he was acting standoffish, there had to be a reason. I trusted him.
I scooted up more and wrapped my arms around his neck to hold him close. This was... Actually really nice. In return, I felt his slender hands pull me close into a shared tight hug. How could an act of attempted flirtation become so warm and gentle so swift?
I could stay like this forever. His soft smell, his warm embrace. It was so easy to get lost in.
I let go with one arm to shift my attention to his face. The reaper didn't stop me from trailing a finger along his scar, but I stopped when I reached his fluffy bangs.
So many thoughts and questions raced in my head. Nervous feelings that tried to grip my heart about everything I was doing. I wanted to be close to him, I wanted to love him as love was meant to be shared.
To go any farther than some kisses and cuddling, what kind of woman would that make me?
He was an immortal, no less.
The Undertaker must've noticed my hesitation because he gave a gentle hum,
"What is it? (Y/N) herself looking afraid?"
"I'm... Just-"
Wait, this wasn't about me, I was trying to question him! I was no fool that would be suckered into diversions. And I wasn't afraid either, not me!
Instead of seeing his eyes, I shook my head and moved down to trace a thumb over his soft lips. How did I never notice it for so long? He was just way too perfect to be a mere human.
What would happen if I kissed him right now? How far would I go? Was I ready for something like that? After the fear of yesterday, probably not, but I still wanted him in that way... Eventually.
But not yet.
No, I would resist. I began to pull back, but before I could, The Undertaker grabbed and took a swift hold of my hand, his fingers intertwining with my own.

My heart jumped instantly and my breath caught in my throat.
Yet, he wasn't smiling. How unnatural for a guy like him.
I didn't get to ask when I was pulled in close, falling against his slender frame as he held tight.
"My canary~" The whisper was so soft, it could have been so easily missed, "Teasing me like that... I'm not mortal, but I'm still a man. What is this you're doing?"
Was it not obvious? I couldn't complain about the comfort of his robes, for which I buried my cheek before I sighed,
"Don't do that to me. The lying and pushing me away. Did I do something at the warehouse?"
I was starting to get the feeling that pulling away was intentional and not just a silly joke back then.

"(Y/N)~" A hint of sorrow dripped through his voice, "No, you didn't do anything. It's my own fear and regret."
He hesitated a moment more before I abruptly felt his grip around me tighten,
"My memories are not what they once were. Time is... A fickle thing when you've lived as long as myself. My dear, you're going to grow old one day. When you pass on, I'm afraid I'll forget and your memory will become twisted in my mind. In the short time we were apart, I was already getting so lost~"
That was it?
I hadn't even thought of that. He was right, as I hated to admit as such. No matter how old I got, The Undertaker would stay the same. Unless I was a reaper myself, but... No, I wouldn't even entertain such a thought, I wouldn't do that to myself. I wouldn't die for the sake of any man, no matter how I may love him.
I wouldn't do it for Nicholas, I wouldn't for it for The Undertaker, and I wouldn't do it for anyone else.
So really, that only left...

My breath sharply stopped as I inhaled and clung more,
"Then let me enjoy the time I have left. Even if you forget, it would never change the truth that it happened."
It seemed so far away for me, but for someone who wouldn't die, how did he experience time? I waited for a response, but no answer came. Still, I felt his hold tighten, as though he feared letting me go.
When I died, my soul would be taken by the reapers, just like that record I had been shown before. Was that peaceful, or... Terrifying?

Silence fell across the shop. As much as I tried to hear a heartbeat, I couldn't. I wanted so dearly to hear the mortician's heart. Why couldn't we have met when he was still alive?
How could a man like him have done something so terrible to himself? It was like a curse for giving up his life, it wasn't fair though, he couldn't even rest in peace? What happened to the beautiful afterlife? Or was it only for people who fought so hard to live and still failed?
I pulled myself back up and finally allowed myself to reach and brush aside his bangs to meet his sharp green eyes, glistening with the outer yellow hue. They glistened with an emotion I couldn't read. One of playfulness, yet sorrow.
"You... Why did you do it anyway? Do you... Uh... Remember?"

The man's eyebrows raised in surprise at the question, but he soon offered a warm smile,
"Now that's a sudden question~ A private one too. Can't you tell a fun joke before I give up something so sad? Laughter is so much nicer these days, my dear."
I should've expected as much. Did I even have any jokes? The best ones I knew were from The Undertaker himself!
Crap, nobles weren't exactly known for their humor.
As I pondered, The Undertaker cocked his head curiously, practically forcing me to divert my eyes.
"Don't look at me like that, I'm thinking of one, alright?"
How dare he try to look innocent, did he expect I would forget about my question?

As much as I tried to think of something funny, I was forced to admit it... I wasn't a funny person. I couldn't think of any dumb jokes that The Undertaker himself hadn't told me.
I gave up with a sigh and started to pull myself up,
"Nevermind. It's private, I'm sure. If you don't want to tell me, I'll trust you anyway."
Well, he hid the whole reaper thing, but I believed in him as a person.
The Undertaker's fair eyes softened as he smiled, but stood up after me only to block my path from leaving the counter.
Usually being hunched over, I forgot how tall he was when he was standing straight until I found myself facing it.
What was this feeling? Why was the man looking at me with such intensity? It was easy to mess around when his face was covered by those long locks, but I could barely take those beautiful eyes staring at me with such-

He stepped forward, and in an automatic response, I took a step back. It didn't do much though when I bumped into the counter behind me instead. When the reaper moved closer again, I could simply hold my breath to restrain my nerves as best I could.
The situation felt familiar, the same way that pig would pin me down when he was showing off, but The Undertaker didn't touch me at all. I didn't feel inferior or weaker, I could slip to the side if I truly wanted, but I wasn't sure if I wanted to. Was it odd to say I might've actually liked this version? My chest tightened in the anxiety Nicholas' restraints still caused, but logically I knew it was different, I wanted to embrace it, as though to overwrite the memories.
I soon found myself looking deep into his exposed expression and could see my own reflection looking back at me through his bright irises.
"(Y/N)," As he whispered, I felt the warm breath against my cheek, causing a shiver across my arms, "I'll tell you one day. But you might hate me. It would be such a shame if you did, I've taken quite a liking to you."
I didn't... Understand... Even when I tried to examine his face, I couldn't get a grasp on what he meant. How could I ever hate him?

As though he could read my thoughts, The Undertaker continued,
"I'm not a good person, my canary. I've done quite some terrible things, some might say I'm a criminal, or even a villain. I wouldn't blame them for even a moment, I didn't make mistakes, but conscious choices that your God would consider horrific~" He raised a hand to touch me, only to stop himself before he did, clenching a fist with great restraint. "You could say it's a curse to be wrapped into the claws of the underworld."
I could hardly believe it, nothing about him would have told me such things. No, it was impossible! All the people he aided. and all the kindness he showed, he wasn't a bad person, that I was sure of. He mentioned he used to be a priest, didn't he?
If he wouldn't touch me, I would just have to do it first.
Without considering, I took his hand and pulled it close against my chest.
The reaper was warm, his skin as soft as a maiden. When he relaxed his tight clench, his long near-claw-like nails grazed against my wrist, but I didn't care to bother with it.
I simply held tighter, as tight as my strength could manage. It wouldn't hurt him at any rate.
"I won't believe it," I denied outright, "No matter what you say, I don't care. If you're trying to scare me away, it's far too late. You're stuck with me now, so if you're a villain, I am too."

Shock flashed through his sight only to be replaced with a warm, playful smile a moment later,
"You're an anomaly, (Y/N)~ Perhaps it was destiny to meet. Sharing the time with me that your single soul allows, you don't know how happy that makes me."

I would be lying if I said his words worried me not. I truthfully did think he was a good person, but there was also much about him I didn't know, and things I didn't intend to pry into.
I was curious, insanely so even, but if I didn't like what I found... Would I feel the same way?
Was it a risk I was willing to take? How long could I stand by those words if I learned he might be as terrible as my ex-finance? I wanted to believe in him, but even I had to admit, being told he could be a criminal, it made me a bit weary deep down.