Act Thirteen: Reveal

The film reel cut short with an 'End' mere moments after the strike. It was hard to see through the victim's eyes, but if the other victims were any sign of what happened, it was a single strike through the heart.
I knew Nicholas had a dark side to him, but this was...
"So that's it then," I clenched my hands to prevent them from trembling, "He can't have me so he gets whatever woman he wants and kills them so they can't have children instead. He would rather murder women than have a child out of wedlock. What a pathetic goddamn man!"

The reaper's hand reached out for me but as though on instinct, I tore away. I didn't want to be touched right now, not even by him.
The hum of the soul's blue light faded away as it withdrew back into the scythe, but I didn't even care to wonder how that worked. I swiftly didn't care that The Undertaker was a reaper, nor what I saw him do to collect the soul.
I didn't care about upholding my status, nor did I care about the arranged marriage.
Suddenly, everything in the world didn't matter in the slightest.
Deep within my heart, I wanted to be angry, but even trying to spark the flame of my rage was a futile effort.

Was it my fault these women were dying?

No. The thought crossed my mind, but it vanished as fast as it appeared. The sympathy I felt for the victims when I was embalming them melted away as well.
I couldn't meet The Undertaker's eyes as I pushed past him. His voice cracked my name, but it didn't matter. Nothing seemed to matter, I just knew I wanted to run as far and fast as I could.
The morning sun was just barely beginning to rise and I was already back on the sidewalk, my arms hugging my body tightly as I walked without any direction in mind.

I couldn't take it anymore! This couldn't be true, it was impossible! Sure, he threatened me before. He was an ass through and through, but that darkness I could read in his eyes, it never translated to me as one of true danger.
Nicholas was manipulative, a smooth talker, pushy, and invasive of my privacy, but a killer?
How close was I to being another corpse? What if the first time I entered that shop, it wasn't with a beating heart?
The numbing feeling was breaking down, as was any attempt to restrain myself.
I allowed myself to cry with no care who could hear it.
A proper lady should never shed tears. She should smile, and if a drop must fall, never make a sound.
Of course, that was not the case anymore. My body shook with sobbing until my vision grew blurry and I had to wipe my eyes with my sleeve.
What did it matter if I tried to be a lady any longer?
I laid my fingers upon corpses, I held a weapon and fought, I wore ragged shoes and kissed a commoner, did it matter if I cried anymore?

The cold air nipped at my nose and cheeks, even more chilled now that they were dampened.
I ran off, but I didn't even know where I was running. Where did I think I was going?
God, I didn't care. If I was caught and my life was taken, it would merely be overdue in exchange for all those women who died in my place.
I continued to cry for as long as the tears fell, but eventually, my energy for it depleted.

Why did I think to run off?
I wasn't thinking, that was the issue. I was impulsive and ran off like a fool!

"Again, until you do it right."

My fiance sighed before offering his hand again. I couldn't stand this, I knew what he did, what he told me! I couldn't bear to look at him, let alone touch him to practice our dance. In front of my parents though, he smiled his fake, sunny grin.
"Come along, (Y/N), don't you know this routine? We've practiced it so many times before."
Sure, that was before he threatened me last night though. How could I possibly focus on the steps when I held his hand? I couldn't get it out of my head though. The face of the maid, the way he pinned me to the wall so seamlessly, how could I possibly...
When I wouldn't take his hand, Nicholas exhaled with annoyance but swiftly, my hand was grabbed with his sudden jerking motion to pull me close against him. I could smell the strong cologne off him, nearly making me gag. Must he cover up the smell of last night so strongly?
"It's just practice, what has you so troubled? Won't you tell me what disturbs your thoughts?"
As if he didn't know!
Before I could react, the putrid man's free hand brushed across my hair where his fingers lingered on the back of my neck.

I tore away on instinct, but the touch was so disgusting, I didn't care how it looked,
"Don't touch me!"
"(Y/N)!" My mother's shocked voice rang up from the side instead, "What in heavens has gotten into you?!"
It wasn't fair, she had no idea! How could I tell them what happened? Where were the words, the right timing? My skin still crawled from such a touch.

A bubbling anger was starting to come along the longer I was in front of him. An anger I never felt before.
It pained my chest to breathe, all I wanted was to scream. This was the man I was sworn to marry from the very day I was born, but all I wanted was to rip him to shreds!