Act Sixteen: Death

"Here,"
"Ah, these are..."
"Spectacles. Corporation approved. Try not to lose these ones too."
He chuckled, accepting the glasses from the bored-appearing coworker,
"I would never." That only needed an eyebrow raise for him to backtrack, "This time. It's such a bother to keep track of them, I do just fine without glasses."
The fellow man exhaled with a dismissive wave of his hand,
"Yeah, I know. You're the best of us, don't rub it in. They're getting tired of making you a new pair though. What happened to the old one anyway?"
"Stepped on. They just slipped," He grinned, but his coworker didn't smile back. In fact, he appeared quite irate,
"Do try to be more careful, every pair is hand-crafted for each individual reaper. Losing yours so often is an insult to the hard work."

"Always losing something..."
The figure muttered to himself as he dragged himself along, long robes carrying behind him, with the chill of the day nipping on his pale skin.
"Really should be more careful."
He reached up to adjust his glasses, only for his fingers to brush along bare skin. Ah, that's right, he lost them a long time ago. So long, why did he suddenly forget that?
What was he doing again?
Walking... Somewhere.
He was looking for something.
Oh how bothersome, so many years alive was causing memories and time to blend together. Not that it never happened, but it wasn't the time to get lost in- Well, time!
The man rose his head to examine the buildings around him and get a sense of self. Right, it was the late 1800s, and he had been on a mission to find someone. He wasn't working for the association anymore, that was quite a long time ago, so it was pointless to be drawn back there.

So long of trying to find her, he suddenly wished he were back there though. If he were, he would still have access to the death records and know if she were alive. A whole week after running off into dawn certainly wasn't a good sign for anything.
The manor was the first place he tried, although there was doubt (Y/N) returned home after how much she hated going back, but it was impossible. Too many guards, with gates locked tight.
He could get in... If he wanted to... But if she wasn't there... Ah, no good, that wouldn't be good at all if she wasn't there and he strongarmed his way inside. No, there had to be alternatives. Where else would she have gone? Had he exhausted all his options yet? He couldn't leave the shop unattended too long, but he still made it a point to go out and search every day. If he wasn't there and someone came in and happened to find...
"Hey, is that you?"
Oh, what was this? Someone was calling out to him?
He couldn't resist giving a smile as he turned around to face the curious approacher,
"You surely must be more specific, I could be anyone!" His tone teased, despite the worry he was carrying. The other male cocked his head curiously,
"Well, it is uh... You are that guy, are you not?" The quite so helpful stranger pushed, "The name was uh..."
Suddenly, the boy snapped his fingers, "Oh, Undertaker, that is right! You are another friend of Ciel?"

Ah friend~ That was certainly one way to put it. But for sake of argument, sure they could be friends as far as this young man was concerned,
"Why yes I am! Were you looking for me? To say the little Earl's name like that, are you implying he needs to be fitted? Such a shame, gone too soon~"
"N-No!" The stranger was quick to shake his head and approach the reaper closer, "Ciel is just fine. I just... Well actually let me start from the beginning."
His body relaxed as he sighed, almost looking dejected,
"My name is Prince Soma, I was staying with Ciel for a visit. A couple of days ago I found something as we were leaving on a daily walk. When I brought it to Ciel, he and his butler said it was only useful to someone like you. I have been trying to find you for a while."

The dear prince began to dig through his pockets before he pulled something out. Oh, what was this? A familiar little contraption, how did something like that get left behind?
When the purple prince offered it my way, I didn't wait to take and examine it over.
Oh yes indeed, what a valuable little tool! What a smart Earl for noticing it belonged to the reapers, the little bookmark was covered in reading just for them.
I was fairly rusty, but even my poor translation skills could still comprehend much of it.
"Why thank you!" The prince beamed as I offered gratitude, "This belongs to me, I would be so sad if I lost it."
A little white lie, but he didn't need to know the details. The pink bookmarks that came from the association! I had one when I left them behind, but it lost its power some time ago. This one though... It was still overflowing and fresh with reaper power. No mortal could use them, so what was it doing near the little Earl's manor?
A child like that, hardly a coincidence!
No... It must be connected with him actually. I hadn't even thought to check with Ciel about (Y/N), it might be time to make a small detour. This little prize would stay with me.