Act Ten: Play

The sun warmed my next and shoulders, making me uncomfortably shake my head, as though it would rid me of the sensation. My shoulderless dress was a regretful choice today, but I looked good, so it was worth it.
After smoothing down my fabric, I shifted my sight to Undertaker walking beside me,
"Are we close yet?"
"Almost," He maintained a smile, and offered a wave to a passing commoner boy, who returned it excitedly, as though the two knew each other.
A scraggly-looking child and a mortician, how did they know each other? I looked between the two, but he simply kept walking, making me have to run to catch up,
"Did you know that boy?" I didn't think to ask, "You receive that reaction a lot when we go out, how do you know so many people?"

The Undertaker rolled his shoulders, holding his hands before himself politely as he strode on,
"My dear, many people have lost loved ones, and I've worked with them all~"
I see... A community, obviously. Well, obvious to them I was sure, I'd never had such a thing. Bonding with the person burying a family member simply wasn't a common thing among the nobles.
Why did that thought piss me off so much suddenly? Why couldn't we have those connections, what was different with the common folk that made them build bridges so easily?
With a sudden tap to my arm, I skitted to a halt to divert my attention to the building before us. What was this place?
No clear name was anywhere to be seen, but a labeled "Open" sign hung on the door. The binds on the windows remained closed, not allowing me to even take a glimpse inside.
How curious, the building was so plain, I would've passed it without a second thought.

The little doorbell jingled when The Undertaker stepped inside, with me following quickly in tow.
It was dim, but not dark. Many candles lit up the shop comfortably, and it felt quite comfortably warm.
"What is this place?" I finally had to ask. I was told a few things before we left, but I was admittedly so impatient to finally go outside on an errand, perhaps I hadn't been entirely listening. In my defense, I was a noblewoman, it wasn't easy to hide out in a stuffy shop every day, even if it was only two days, it was still difficult!

The mortician ran a long finger over the rim of his black hat thoughtfully before raising his head to look around,
"I'm running dreadfully low on materials. I need to restock formaldehyde, and some of my embalming tools are growing quite dull."
That chemical... Formaldehyde was used to delay composition, right? Embalming fluid, I recall. I tried not to think about the chemicals I saw being used often, but it was a name I'd seen on bottles repeatedly. This was a shop for morgue work, then?
It smelled odd, not quite dusty, but not fresh either.
With an awkward cough, I quickly stayed glued to The Undertaker's side,
"How can you shop for tools to prepare the dead so casually? Aren't you at least a bit unnerved?"
No, what was I asking? Of course he wasn't, and he showed it too by offering a wide grin,
"Why would I be? Death is natural!"

That didn't really answer my question, but it was the best I was going to get.
I nearly thought the shop was empty until I heard shuffling and a man stood up from the counter, setting a hefty box down with a huff. It only took moments for his eyes to light up and he smiled bright,
"Well if it isn't my most famous customer!" The stranger greeted warmly, "What are you needing today? We just got a new stock of grave guns and coffin torpedoes in store, we seem to be needing more and more of them these days."
"Oh no, I'm quite stocked of those," The silver-haired man dismissed with a wave, "I have a list here~"
How boring, he was just shopping like it was a normal day. Surely there had to be something here to mess with?
I split away while the men spoke to move deeper into the shop. Behind a wall was another small nook of tools, but rather than any items, a familiar flash of red caught my attention. No... There was no way.
She was facing away from me, not noticing me standing there yet. With one last glance to The Undertaker, I stepped behind the wall and cleared my throat quietly.
The red woman flinched in surprise and turned back, but her tension relaxed when her green eyes fell upon me. Green... They looked just like his, didn't they? How strange, I never realized that until now. Then again, I never thought I'd run into someone like Grelle again either.
"Well well, fate is a mysterious bastard, huh?" She teased with a toothy smile, "Let me guess, you're buying cookies."
Oh hah, was that supposed to be a joke?