Act Fourteen: Enough

Once I followed Alois' instructions, it didn't take long for the winding paths to start making sense once again. I had run off into the poor side of town, but I was back on a familiar route before I knew it. I had found my way back to the church, but I couldn't stop this time to investigate.
My carriage had come down this way as well, I'm sure I could figure it out. How much did I manage to see when Sebastian brought me to the manor? It wasn't a long ride, I think...
Right, I knew where I was!
I was scared, tired, drained in every way imaginable, but I had to do this.
If I didn't, then I...
Well, for all the women that died before me, I had to do it for them. I clenched my hand as I allowed myself to remember caring for the corpses. Fixing their clothes, applying makeup for the last time, learning how to stitch and repair, and the entire time, never knowing how connected I was to the truth. They never deserved what they got.
But when I see Nicholas again, he'll deserve every bit of it.

It wasn't much farther now. My feet were hurting and my legs were tired, but I pushed on.
I could feel the unease of a presence watching me and felt the shiver run up my spine.
As I looked around through the dark alleys and into the roads, I didn't see anything until my attention was pulled to the nearby roof.
A figure stood in the shadows, the outline clear and the moonlight glistening off the glasses they were. It didn't look like Grelle this time, but it was... Probably a reaper, wasn't it?
"I'm probably going to die, aren't I?"
There was no answer when I called out, but I continued to talk,
"If you're here for me, I understand. I don't fear you, but I do fear death. Especially when there's so much left to do. If you're here, I don't imagine I'll get that life I'm hoping for. The one with genuine love where I can do what I please. I know that, but if you'd be so kind as to let me live long enough to see such a horrible person face punishment, I won't fight my fate."

As expected, the watchful reaper didn't answer. It was an odd feeling, but I almost felt safe knowing I was being seen by a reaper. They weren't killers, were they? They were just overseers. The figure vanished suddenly, becoming invisible to my eye. Reapers could hide themselves from mortals, huh? I do wonder how often I've passed a reaper and never known then. Did The Undertaker ever use his ability with me? Would I ever be able to ask after this?
I sighed and continued to walk, holding myself close as I let all the warm memories flood back to comfort my fear.

I wanted to keep trusting The Undertaker and everything that happened between us. Even if he pissed me off sometimes, the warm moments were nice. I didn't know romance and relationships very well, but I knew when I felt safe around someone. It might've been a bit rocky there for a minute, but I believed in him and everything he told me now. Gosh, why did all the men in my life have to be connected to death somehow?
I soon caught a view of the manor and allowed myself to pause and take a break from walking to feel proud and prepared. What was I going to say when I saw them?
I wasn't sure, but I'd figure it out when I began talking I'm sure.
It frankly wasn't just The Undertaker, was it? There were so many nice people I found until now, I didn't feel so angry anymore. I still recall the first time I felt that rage start to vanish in the church, it had scared me then.
I was able to duel with Soma, have tea with Ciel, dance with Alois, even Grelle gave me that...
The bookmark-!
I reached around and pulled it from my sweater pocket. I almost forgot I had it. What was it supposed to do again? How do I use it? I thought the reaper was rambling off nonsense but after tonight, I was willing to believe anything.
This was supposed to help me or something?

I turned it over to get a better look at it, but sadly, it didn't have instructions. That was unsurprising, although Grelle really spoke like I would need it. It had to be for this, right?

It was an unfortunate mistake to stop and be distracted in the middle of the road. With the sun barely rising and my eyes squinting to examine the bookmark, I didn't notice the presence behind me until it was a moment too late.
I heard the footsteps approaching, but before I could turn around, everything went dark with something being shoved over my head and a strong hold around my body.
With all my might, I tried to struggle. When I attempted to scream, the cover over my head only caused a feeling of suffocation. This couldn't be happening, I was so close!
When my arms were tied down, I lost my grip on the bookmark, but that was suddenly the least of my worries.
I had to get out of here-!
I struggled and fought with all my might, but the strength of the kidnapper was too much. Without warning, my body was being tossed like I was merely a ragdoll and the sound of a door slammed behind me.
Crap, was this a carriage?!