Chapter 1

It might seem strange, but in those days off we had, neither Eddin nor I read the list Rand'din had penned. It was like we had both decided, without discussing it, to shelve anything to do with work while we were on leave. We hardly discussed work at all. It was nice. More relaxed. We still saw each other daily and just... enjoyed each other's company. I let Eddin teach me some new stretches and exercises for my back and wings. Eluri does the exercises with me at night. I may never use them, but working on the muscles has helped them ache less during the day.

I even let Eddin convince me (though he claims it was all Eluri's ideas and insistence, and he was just relaying) to try riding Eluri. He rode his mother's griffin, Sarin, while I was on Eluri. We flew. It was... amazing. Feeling the wind and the air currents again made me wish...

But... no. I can't. As much as part of me wants to, even just thinking about it fills me with hurt and remorse.

The days passed by quickly enough, and then it was time to return to work.

That first day back, since the hunt for the traitor was over, I kept my promise to Commander Aleira and removed the masking spell token from my pocket. For the first time since my hiring, everyone in the Lower Quarter Station could see me as I am, Mark and all. I never would have had the courage to walk into the room if Eddin hadn't been there, beside me. Everyone stared. Whispers broke out. We took our desks as usual and pretended like nothing was different. The whispers continued until the new captain came in. She commended us for our work on the Dark Eaters case and silenced the whispers with a look.

Things felt different, then, and not just because of the stares. We'd known Captain Murrick wouldn't be at Lower Quarter Station, but there were other faces missing, too. I know lots of people around the city were surprised by the arrests. Commander Aleira herself lamented several names on the list. Especially General Antwin Mishkov, her second-in-command. The way she talked about him, I had to wonder if they were more than just coworkers.

So, as we navigated the city during our rounds and people kept asking us about the arrests (when they weren't spitting at me, that is) Eddin and I decided it was time to read the list. There was only one name on it that truly surprised us.

"Jezora!" Eddin exclaimed under his breath as they walked down the hallway. "Can you believe it?"

"She's not even a wizard," Vania added. "Why was she making deals with the Dark Eaters?"

"No wonder Bergin gave us a funny look the other day when we asked him how work was going. Wonder if he's been assigned a new partner yet." Eddin shot a look to Vania. "Maybe now that the air's been cleared, it's time for the dream team to get back together."

Vania stopped in her tracks. "What? No!" She quickly looked away from Eddin's confused look. "I mean... Why should I have to get reassigned just because he needs a new partner? I have a work partner, and we're getting along quite well."

Eddin smiled a little, looking at the back of her head as she quickly resumed walking. He followed her as they left the station, the stars peering down at them through the clouds.

Vania stopped as she realized Eddin was still walking with her. "Aren't you going to get Tarva? Or are you planning on walking all the way home?"

"Well," Eddin replied, stepping forward to stand beside her, "you always tell me Tarva's too big for the streets around your house, so I figured I'd walk you home without her tonight. I'll get her on my way back. Unless you'd like to ride?"

"No," Vania replied, lip curling. "I'd rather walk."

"Then, let's walk."

They continued down the street side-by-side. The cobbles turned to dirt and the road became darker as the distance between streetlamps increased.