Chapter 7

"Another temple burned last night; luckily, all the priests and servers normally in attendance had fled yesterday. The remaining faithful in the other temples are all leaving, if they haven't already gone." Eddin looked at Vania's scowling face. "Two more ships capsized in the harbor due to rogue waves. The ships currently at port are all pulling up anchor to move to safer locations."

"The storm priests have issued a declaration, demanding the entire city of Astrence begin worshiping their goddess, Calliastra." Vania sighed, rubbing her forehead against her growing headache. "And they've also issued a public notice for anyone and everyone to assist in getting me to the temple."

"Now that she's learned to control her powers better, this bitch moves fast," Eddin remarked quietly. "I'm glad we're going to Shechem. And if no one there can help, we'll keep moving until we find someone who can and will."

Vania nodded wearily. "If she'll let me..."

Eddin looked down at her, frowning. "How bad is it now?"

"Bad." Vania dropped her head into her hands. From her lap, Eluri reached up to nuzzle her face, whining. "She keeps telling me to hurry to the temple, and then she will stop hurting the city."

"And since when have you let anyone bully you?" He placed a hand on her shoulder.

"I... don't know if I have a choice this time, Eddin."

He squeezed her shoulder. "There's always a choice. You just might not like the options." He cocked his head toward the door. "Come on. Sounds like the carriage is here. Aleira promised it was the fastest."

As the carriage raced through the wet streets, Vania stared out the window. "If this rain doesn't stop, the city will flood."

"Yes," Eddin agreed quietly. "But, it will stop. Once we stop her."

"The flood will claim the port and the slums, first. Lots of people will die. No one in power will give a damn until the water starts climbing the hill."

Eddin reached out and grabbed her shoulder, pulling her away from the window. "That's not true, and you know it. The port is the lifeblood of the city. If it's swamped, it'll be weeks before we get any caravans with supplies to come through. No one will let the city starve."

"The city, no," Vania agreed quietly. "But the poor will feel the pressure from lack of supplies far before the wealthy on the hill. And the council won't make any real moves to help until the wealthy start speaking out."

"You sure have a poor opinion of the people in power," Eddin noted quietly.

"Yeah, well, there's a reason for that; it's the reputation they've earned." Vania crossed her arms and looked toward the window. "It's my family down in the slums, Eddin. My people. They're the ones who always suffer first and most."

"Sis took a carriage to Derry's," Eddin said quietly. "She's helping them pack and is bringing them up to the house, until the storm passes. Aleira sent the enforcer captains before the council this morning, arguing for opening up the inns and common spaces on the hill to everyone in the port and slums areas. They offered to help organize the enforcers and city guard to help get people moving. It'll take time, but they're trying to get people moving before the flood comes. Aleira went to the Wizard Council and began talking to them about seawalls and water controlling spells."

"What can the Wizard Council do against a goddess?" Vania mumbled.

"Well, if anyone can figure it out, it'll be Aleira. Her family were the ones who created the harbor when the city was founded. She knows a thing or two about water manipulation."

"Maybe," Vania whispered, closing her eyes and grimacing. "But does she know anything about fighting a goddess?"

Eddin put an arm around her shoulders and pulled her closer, not saying a word.