Chapter 11

"Vania!" Cianna rushed over and hugged the enforcer's legs. "What took you so long?"

"Cianna, we told you Vania was working in another city and would be gone several days," Licia chided as she crossed the room to also give Vania a hug. "Welcome back."

"Thanks," Vania replied quietly, hugging Licia, then reaching down and tousling Cianna's hair. "I missed you, too, kiddo." She looked around, noting the two cradles still slightly rocking, Grava and Rantin babbling quietly. No one else was in the room. "Where's Derry and Kuran?"

"Since your friends were so kind to let us stay here, Derry's been baking every morning, then taking Kuran and distributing the goods to the other displaced people gathered at the inns and parks. Not everyone was so lucky to have rich friends willing to house and feed them."

"He's been going all the way to the bakery and then coming up here to deliver baked goods to everyone? That's a dangerous journey these days," Vania protested. She let Cianna pull her farther into the room, to where a bunch of toys were gathered.

"Oh, no. Your friends have opened the kitchen to Derry, as well. He bakes here, now." Licia sat in the chair near the cradles and began gently rocking them with her feet. "So, how was your journey?"

"A waste," Vania replied with a sigh, letting herself fall onto the couch. "We accomplished nothing." She swallowed, hand going over her face as she added, "And now Eddin's being called back to Hursa."

"What?" Licia exclaimed. The babies began to cry. She bent down to them, shushing and murmuring soothingly. Once they settled back down, she sighed and straightened, then looked over to Vania, speaking in a much quieter tone, "What? Why? I thought he'd quit the military."

"No," Vania mumbled with a sigh. "He's only been on leave due to mental health. Since two of his siblings died. He still has a year left in the service contract he agreed to."

"Oh, no..." Licia whispered. She glanced into the cradles, then stood and joined Vania on the couch, wrapping her arms around Vania as the enforcer sniffled. "I'm so sorry, Vania... Being left behind by someone heading to the front is terrifying. You just never know..." she trailed off and just hugged Vania tighter as Vania sobbed quietly into her shoulder.

"They say it's certain death for everyone sent there, now..."

"Oh, dear..." Licia murmured, patting Vania's back awkwardly between the furled wings. "I thought... his mother was head of the military? Can't she stop this?"

"No... She says she's exhausted all options, but... it's Eddin. And she's already lost two kids to Hursa. Does she really want to lose a third?"

"Of course she doesn't," Licia murmured. "If she's tried everything, then maybe... it's time for someone else to try something."

"Like what?" Vania whispered, sniffling.

"I don't know, dear... I don't know..." Licia sighed. "Let's ask Derry when he comes back. He's bound to have an idea or two."

"Vania?" Cianna asked, tentatively tugging at the black cloak. "Did you say Eddin's going away?"

Licia looked down at the child and said quietly, "Yes, honey. He's going to go fight in the war."

"Why? I thought he fought bad people here. Like the man who..." Cianna trailed off, biting her lip as she shivered and wrapped her arms around herself.

"And now he has to go fight bad people in Hursa," Licia replied.

"But, his family's here. His animals are here. Vania's here. Why would he leave them?" Cianna fidgeted and looked at the floor. "I thought... he was gonna marry Vania and move into her house and they'd have a family, and then I'd have cousins to play with... How can he do that if he goes to the war?"