Chapter 8

"Well, that was a waste of three days," Vania muttered as the carriage rolled back through the gates of Astrence, water flinging from the wheels as they drove through puddles growing into ponds in the road. She leaned against the wall of the carriage and closed her eyes, whispering, "And I don't even remember most of it."

Eddin sighed, silently watching Vania as he rubbed another bruise on his arm. Each time he had to restrain her as she was controlled by the goddess, the fight got harder.

Vania drew in a deep breath and sat back up, then looked at Eddin and held out her hand. "You need to give me that charm from Ab'bashura now."

"No." Eddin crossed his arms. "I've told you before and I'll tell you again—I'm not letting you hold onto it. If things get that bad and there's no alternative, I'll give it to you then."

"By the time you give up on alternatives, it'll be too late!" Vania snapped. "She'll have completely taken over my body for good and I'll never return to consciousness." She covered her face in her hands. "Gods alive, this is worse than succumbing to the Mark..."

"We'll figure something out," Eddin reasoned. "We're going to talk with Aleira, see if there's been any new developments or ideas while we were gone, then we'll resupply and head to Priori and ask at the temples there."

She glared at him from between her fingers, violet eyes seeming to glow. "And what makes you think Priori will go any differently than Shechem did?"

Eddin frowned. "Are you feeling all right? You sound... different."

From her place at their feet, Eluri sat up and hissed.

She dropped her hands and threw back her head and laughed. She looked at Eddin with scorn. "You caught on faster this time; you're learning." She smirked, leaned in close to him, and whispered, "Let me give you some advice. Resisting is futile. If you really love her, you'll tell her to stop fighting me."

"Never," Eddin replied tersely. "Now get the hell out of her head."

She smiled sweetly at him and cupped his cheek with one long-fingered hand. "Oh, but if you do as I ask, there'll be a sweet reward for you..." The smile turned into a leer. "Or do you think I don't know all your secret desires?"

Eddin grabbed her wrist and pulled her hand away from his face. "You're not her. You never can be. Get out of her head."

"Oh, but I'm just getting comfortable..." She grinned and slid into his lap. She whispered in his ear, "She might not be able to get past the memory of the man who hurt her, but I could help..."

Growling inarticulately, he pushed her away.

Eluri jumped onto the seat beside her and hissed, then nuzzled her hands and whined.

Vania groaned softly, eyes closed. One hand came up to her head.

Eluri whined again, putting clawed paws on her shoulder to reach up and nuzzle her face.

"Vania?" Eddin asked as she slowly opened her eyes.

She looked at him, tears filling her eyes at the sight of his worried face. "What'd she do this time?" she whispered.

"Nothing," Eddin replied. He put an arm around her shoulders and pulled her close. "Just talked."

"Eddin." Vania looked up at his tense face. "She... said something to you that bothered you, didn't she?"

"No. I just don't like that she's getting more comfortable wearing your skin. Maybe we should skip Priori and ask my mother to help us get to Karn quickly."

"I... don't think they'd want me in the capital, Eddin. Not in this state." She looked at her hands, palms up and open in her lap. "I'm... dangerous." She swallowed.

In the silence, the patter of the rain on the roof and the splashing of the wheel through the puddles seemed louder. Thunder rumbled lowly.

"I... know you don't like it. But... please, give me the charm from Ab'bashura."

"No."

"I won't use it unless there's no other hope of being rid of her," Vania promised. She looked up at him. "Don't you trust me?"

He looked her in the eye and replied levelly, "I do trust you, Vania. I trust you with my life." He turned and looked out the window as lightning flashed across the sky. "I just don't trust you with yours."